Muntjacs

hugh hickey

We seem to have drifted in and out of the OP's question, but I agree with some of the others and it does concern me that someone with no stalking experience is talking about buying a rifle, whose terminal ballistics he doesn't understand . The differences between calibres, he doesn't understand, and (presumably) has never shot a deer and one wonders if understanding shot placement, stalking and what to do with the animal post-mortem is understood. Nothing personal to the OP, but I do think you owe it to yourself to get yourself some training before you even think about deer, or go shooting with an experienced stalker.

I agree with the others too that deer shouldn't be singled out as the only species deserving of humane dispatch; that applies to any living thing shot too, but I do think that as responsible shooters, we increasingly should question good reason and not some desire to do it because it has become a popular leisure shooting activity.

There's some pretty significant safety aspects to centrefire that need more attention than with rimfire, and deer have to be a conditioned species on your certificate. The police (rightly in my humble opinion) are increasingly reluctant to hand out centrefire variations conditioned for deer like sweeties these days because of some of these issues but their primary concern is one of public safety. Get some experience with a stalker first would be my advice or get some training. At the very least, read up on the subject rather than asking opinions on public forums so you fully understand some of the issues first.

There's plenty on here who would be happy, I'm sure, to provide good advice to you if you're serious about taking this forward.

So, you want meat for the table, which is fine and a good a reason as any. Have you a cull plan for the munty's? Do you know how many are on your permission? Where would you place the shot and why? Is there anything you think you need to be careful about when gralloching? How and where would you prepare the carcass assuming you've got this far?

There's a little more to it than shooting and skinning a rabbit, using a rimfire.

• 1 month later...

We seem to have drifted in and out of the OP's question, but I agree with some of the others and it does concern me that someone with no stalking experience is talking about buying a rifle, whose terminal ballistics he doesn't understand . The differences between calibres, he doesn't understand, and (presumably) has never shot a deer and one wonders if understanding shot placement, stalking and what to do with the animal post-mortem is understood. Nothing personal to the OP, but I do think you owe it to yourself to get yourself some training before you even think about deer, or go shooting with an experienced stalker.

I agree with the others too that deer shouldn't be singled out as the only species deserving of humane dispatch; that applies to any living thing shot too, but I do think that as responsible shooters, we increasingly should question good reason and not some desire to do it because it has become a popular leisure shooting activity.

There's some pretty significant safety aspects to centrefire that need more attention than with rimfire, and deer have to be a conditioned species on your certificate. The police (rightly in my humble opinion) are increasingly reluctant to hand out centrefire variations conditioned for deer like sweeties these days because of some of these issues but their primary concern is one of public safety. Get some experience with a stalker first would be my advice or get some training. At the very least, read up on the subject rather than asking opinions on public forums so you fully understand some of the issues first.

There's plenty on here who would be happy, I'm sure, to provide good advice to you if you're serious about taking this forward.

So, you want meat for the table, which is fine and a good a reason as any. Have you a cull plan for the munty's? Do you know how many are on your permission? Where would you place the shot and why? Is there anything you think you need to be careful about when gralloching? How and where would you prepare the carcass assuming you've got this far?

There's a little more to it than shooting and skinning a rabbit, using a rimfire.

Definitely agree..