L200 Wet Footwells

clumber

Thought I'd post this as a bit of a pointer for the new shape L200 (2006 on) that's getting water into the footwells.

I've found out it's a common problem with water leaking in via the two rear quarter windows.

My near side window was leaking in, resulting in a puddle appearing in the front footwell.

The two rear quarter windows, either side of the heated centre window, are held in with 5 or 6 nuts (10mm socket) and bonded bolts with a rubber/plastic trim around the glass.

You have to remove the interior trim from behind the back seats, the one with the tools on and the two corner trims with the seat belts bolted through (17mm socket & philips screwdriver and trim removal tool).

The window nuts can come loose allowing water to get behind the seal. A quick tighten could fix the problem.

My problem wasn't that simple and I had to take the windows out.

The foam window seal was worn and what with the loose nuts, dirt had got behind so wouldn't seal. I'd have broken the glass if I'd of tightened right up.

After a good clean of windows and body I ran bead of silicone sealer around the foam seal and rubber, the windows went back in. Nuts thread locked and taken up to the nip, waited until I'd had a brew then checked windows for leaks. All okay, no leaks.

Getting the plastic trim and studs back in and lined up was a bit of a pain but nothing major.

All in the job took 2.5 hours.

Hopefully this will help save someone a hefty garage bill.

Clumber.