The planned Great Repeal Bill threat or opportunity?

TWAG

Fellow wildfowlers and shooting men

Below is a link to the BBC website I have cut and pasted some relevant text.

What really worries me is every time there has been a change of legislation or alteration of environmental legislation shooting/wildfowling has come off worse. Perhaps if BASC is proactive we can put in place that traditional coastal wildfowling and its associated conservation work. Does not constitute a plan or a project. Therefore does not need to be entered into the consenting process. In the same way that yachting is not considered a plan or project.

It will be interesting to see what BASC has to say?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39439554

Thousands of EU laws on everything from workers' rights to the environment are to be scrapped or replaced with UK equivalents in a new plan.

Details of the planned Great Repeal Bill are to be published shortly - the day after the UK officially began the two year process of leaving the EU.

Ministers need to "copy and paste" EU laws into UK law to avoid a legal "black hole" when Brexit happens.

It comes as ministers reject claims of a row with the EU over future security.

In her letter on Wednesday triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, Mrs May suggested cooperation with the EU on the fight against crime and terror was at risk if Britain did not agree an overall Brexit deal within the two year time limit.

'A unique challenge'

The Great Repeal Bill, which Theresa May has said will make the UK an "independent, sovereign nation", would:

• Repeal the European Communities Act, which says EU law is supreme to the UK's
  • Ensure the UK leaves the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice
  • Transpose existing EU legislation into domestic UK law
  • It would come into force the day the UK leaves the EU
  • The Commons library anticipates it will be "one of the largest legislative projects ever undertaken in the UK"
  • A Lords committee described it as a "unique challenge", with EU law having accumulated over decades

TWAG

Hunting has a very strong tradition in most European countries so there is a much higher risk to shooting once we are outside the EU. If for example Corybin was to come to power we would be very worried. Even the present PM has gone on record she would like to see much tighter restrictions on shotguns when she was Home sectary. The second worry is what is going to happen to SPAs and SACs. They provide a vital refuge for wildfowl ,and their future is very insecure. The last two Tory govenments have run down conservation to such a low level that without EU funds govenment bodies such as NE can hardly function and grants for conservation and HLS projects have all but dried up. With the shortage of money for the NHS , schools and so on conservation is going to be a long way down the list for funds.

I would not be surprised to see SPAs and SACs scrapped or merged into SSSIs and have much weaker protection. There is likely to be a major to boost industry to counter our loss of trade with the EU and in coastal areas this could mean pressure for developement on marshland and would be a threat to our wildfowl populations. As wildfowlers we all moan about conservation and NE , but we must never forget that without healthy wildfowl populations we will have no sport. If we want to be shooting ducks and geese in 25 years time we have to conserve our wildfowl populations.

"I would not be surprised to see SPAs and SACs scrapped or merged into SSSIs and have much weaker protection. There is likely to be a major to boost industry to counter our loss of trade with the EU and in coastal areas this could mean pressure for developement on marshland and would be a threat to our wildfowl populations. As wildfowlers we all moan about conservation and NE , but we must never forget that without healthy wildfowl populations we will have no sport. If we want to be shooting ducks and geese in 25 years time we have to conserve our wildfowl populations."

Anser2 a very interesting perspective and view on this I'm glad I posted on the forum this as another dimension to my concern I suspect if what you have predicted will happen in one way or another. Will it be a strength or a threat to us? I would like to hope the Lack of money and their ability to carryout pointless consents for shooting would go away. But as you say another door could open regarding the failure of conservation etc.

I would still like to see BASC make a commitment that they are going to be proactive over this issue. Historically they have at best being reactive. European sites special protection areas special areas conservation. I can remember being lectured by BASC that this was going to be a benefit for us and nothing was going to be detrimental at all. Then look what has happened! Shooting on any of the above-mentioned sites now has to have consent from the statutory agency with all the restrictions and limitations they can master to put upon us. 20 years in BASC still hasn't managed to sort out sensible consenting arrangements for our sport. This worries me.