A bit of advice if you could

Guest The Outlaw

Guest The Outlaw

Does any one know if it is illegal to put a .177 barrel on a .22 12ft/lb gun.

I'm not sure of the regs and thought it might give the .177 a bit more poke.

If its a no no I think about getting something sorted where I can get a more powerful .22.

I will probably be back for advice on that one next.

Cheers Tony

I'm not sure if it would make it more powerful but in the event that it did take the power over 12ft lbs you could get in to quite a bit of trouble with the police if they caught you using it. I'f your wanting more power I'd get your F.A.C. sorted out and get a F.A.C. air rifle or a rimfire. It's not worth taking any risks with.

Yes you can legally switch barrels. There's even one rifle (tho I can't remember the make at the moment) which comes with 2 barrels as standard.

I have the feeling that putting a .177 barrel onto a .22 action won't have the effect you desire, other than a .177 has a higher muzzle velocity anyway, for a given power output.

I seem to recall that for example with the Theoben gas rams that you have a higher rated one for .177 than for .22 to produce the same muzzle energy for the different calibers.

So my money is on; it will either make no difference or be less powerful than before.

If your using a springer, why not treat yourself to a new mainspring. Jon Knibbs will sell you a Titan XS for £17 inc postage, but I'd be inclined to run it over a chrony afterwards.

Those Titans have a habit of being a bit longer & a few more coils than the original spring.

You wanna make sure you're still within legal parameters for "oomph"