Greylag V Bonxie (Skua)

flippermaj

Now you would think that a Greylag is a large bird, not for the Bonxie it isn't!

I was fishing on Loch Boardhouse, Orkney and was on the bank looking along the shore while adjusting some kit.  There was a loud whoosh and a pair of birds nearly took my head off as they flew along the shore line from behind me about 10 foot off the water.  At first glance it looked like a paid of greylag but then I realised it was greylag and bonxie flying as a pair.  It turned out to be a not very friendly pair as the bonxie forced the greylag out over the loch and then somehow forced the greylag to crash land in the loch.  The greylag "stood up" to the bonxie, wings flapping and head up but the bonixe over powered it and drowned it and then started to eat it as it drifted down wind.

Now I have seen Bonxie drown a Tern before as the Tern popped up from diving for sandeels   but to see one take down a greylag is something I wouldn't have believed possible. Nature in tooth and claw!