Hatching chicks under flourcent lights

Balaclave

I have a spare 60 litre viaqaurium which i used to keep a lizzard in and was planning on hatching some quail eggs in it.My question is can eggs be hatched under tank lights as they would keep the eggs pretty warm.

It wont be easy as there is a lot more to it than keeping them at the right temp. Humidity for one is very importants and the requirements change as the eggs getting nearer to hatching.

I have heard of people having success using their airing cupboards but the hatch rate is very low.

If you can, either get your hands on a second had incubator or find a small broody!

Jerry

you will have to keep a consistant temperature and humidity and the most important thing is turning the eggs at least 5 times a day so that the egg doesnt stick to the shell inside as the chicks are forming.hatching under a light wouldnt work as the bottom of the eggs wouldnt get the warmth , what you are suggesting will probably be fine for a brooder for when the eggs are hatched.a small incubator off ebay would only be about £50 alternativly ive got one you could have for £25.00 + postage.

quial are an excellent bird to start incubating with as they are really easy to hatch and keep

give it a go you will need to keep a constant temprature of 38.5oc and turn them and turn them all once a day. also spray the eggs with a hair /plant sprayer with warm water preferably about 38.5oc this will soften the shell and make it easyer for them to hatch

any queries just ask

i do quite a lot of incubating

you will have to keep a consistant temperature and humidity and the most important thing is turning the eggs at least 5 times a day so that the egg doesnt stick to the shell inside as the chicks are forming.hatching under a light wouldnt work as the bottom of the eggs wouldnt get the warmth , what you are suggesting will probably be fine for a brooder for when the eggs are hatched.a small incubator off ebay would only be about £50 alternativly ive got one you could have for £25.00 + postage.

quial are an excellent bird to start incubating with as they are really easy to hatch and keep

hi

how much postage im up north and do u take paypal??

Edited by dolly_daydream