Pheasant shelters?

Someone advised me to build some low level shelters out of wriggley tin and wood to attract the pheasants. Then put a bit of hay and sharp sand under for the dust bath. Is this realy worth doing on a small shoot where I rely on attracting wild birds? If so, whats the best spec? Comments please....

(come on ferretboy111 your the boy).

when i had a shoot we used to make them 5 foot long dug in to the ground at the back and about 2 1/2 foot at the front if you wanna cover both sides in then you can

i think they are one of them things that you ether love or hate i quite like them because wh where on a fell side where the wether was realy bad so to give the birds shelter was imortant

Lol, well on my shoot i mainly have shelters made from tin on old tyres usually in my release pens, (We have alot of these about the farm) The tyres also act as a good rat bait station also. But i do have the odd large tin dust bath raised up with tyres and posts on a woodland ride or side of a cover strip. Im recreating a few more in parts of my woodlands where i have had fires so i dont have to cart ash about the place.

I also, when the cover is up put some tin over some straw bales in the cover, or near a feeder. I rarely see birds under them though, usually they stand on top of them as a good look out tower.

They are good to have about the place, every piece of woodland/cover i have has some sort of dusting shelter in/around.

Hope this helps

Alex

Lol, well on my shoot i mainly have shelters made from tin on old tyres usually in my release pens, (We have alot of these about the farm) The tyres also act as a good rat bait station also. But i do have the odd large tin dust bath raised up with tyres and posts on a woodland ride or side of a cover strip. Im recreating a few more in parts of my woodlands where i have had fires so i dont have to cart ash about the place.

I also, when the cover is up put some tin over some straw bales in the cover, or near a feeder. I rarely see birds under them though, usually they stand on top of them as a good look out tower.

They are good to have about the place, every piece of woodland/cover i have has some sort of dusting shelter in/around.

Hope this helps

Alex

Ferretboy111. You are a real credit to Pigeon Watch with your quality experience. Cheers mate.

Not as experienced as some people i know, but im passionate about it enough to know alittle.

Another little question would be, regarding your "wild bird shoot" would that mean that you are releasing nothing? if so, feed all year round if your not doing so already.

Only a few days ago shoots which release 1000's were saying to me that nothing is about this time of year, i ask them if they are feeding, and they say no they have stopped. I tell them that, only the other day i was amazed to see, 10 hens, 2 cocks and a pair of partridges all in and around 1 feeder on mine.

Definately worthwhile to keep on feeding a few hoppers about the place.

Alex :blink:

Not as experienced as some people i know, but im passionate about it enough to know alittle.

Another little question would be, regarding your "wild bird shoot" would that mean that you are releasing nothing? if so, feed all year round if your not doing so already.

Only a few days ago shoots which release 1000's were saying to me that nothing is about this time of year, i ask them if they are feeding, and they say no they have stopped. I tell them that, only the other day i was amazed to see, 10 hens, 2 cocks and a pair of partridges all in and around 1 feeder on mine.

Definately worthwhile to keep on feeding a few hoppers about the place.

Alex :stupid:

Yep feretby111. Unfortunatly I release nothing. The poblem is the small size of the shoot. The way its layed out means the birds just dissapear. Its mostly gutters, stick piles and hedgerows. My old shooting mate told me one year he reared some chicks and ringed them. They never shot one at all. So its a waste of money. Don't know anyone local who is releasing so its not as if I am shooting my neighbours birds. We get a few and we are reasonably happy. Cheers mate.