Barrels

stuart92

hi all,

ive just got my hands on a bsa xl tatical, ive found it very power full 11.5ft/lb

had a few rabbits pigeons crows....

but ie found today that it is not very accurate over a certian distance

its zero'd at 29yards, been hitting 2p size targets at just over 29yds

basicly would it be possible to put a longer barrel on?

stuart

A longer barrel won't make any difference to accuracy on a springer.

Springer barrels need to be a minimum of about a foot long to get enough spin off the rifeling for pellet stability, any extra length is to provide a longer lever to help with the cocking stroke.

If you think about it, the longer the barrel, the harder it is to shoot straight.

Imagine how the lines radiate out & open up on a protractor.

A longer the barrel, is just more opportunity to exaggerate any unwanted movement at the muzzle.

XL, nice bit of kit & your accuracy sounds more than good enough for a springer.

If you want more accuracy you'll need to move over to a PCP with no recoil to worry about.

Edited by SteveieP

I have a BSA lightening XL in .177 and I found that fitting a theoben gas ram improved accuracy and the feel of the gun. They are hard to come by now as I think theoben have stopped making them but you might find one second hand. Basically they reduce recoil, lock time and noise.

Someone else mentioned choosing the right pellet. I have found that the H&N field and target trophy are really good in my rifle. Accupels were rubbish (quite a suprise as my Daystate and Logun love em!). Bisley Magnums are pretty good too. I also wash and lube my pellets.

The lightening XL takes a lot of practise before you reach it's full potential so keep plinking at the targets. I think it's because it's a short and light gun (lots of recoil) so the way that you shoot needs to be as consistent as possible. I have managed one hole groups out to 20-25 yards stood up but that's after lots of practise. I am sure I can get better. For hunting, this gun is best used at around 25-30yrds for consistent kills (in .177).

Finally, look up the Lightening XL on www.reviewcentre.com for lots of useful information on the gun and how others get on with it, just bear in mind that not all of the reviewers are experienced shooters!

I think it's a top rifle if you stay within it's limits :blink:

Edited by airssassin