12g reloading for beginners???

guys ive seen a bit on reloading carts on here, and some of your setup's look sweet (bob300)....... its probably been covered on here a million times but id like some direct advice if im to start meddling with this stuff... B)

i guess over the coming years of shooting id rather have a go if its practical then keep handing cash over for new carts all the time...

as ive read on other posts, the bench building is the easy bit, its the technical points and costs im concerned with.....

what equipment do i need.....

what materials do i need....

can i buy shot/powder/wads easily...

how much should i expect to pay to get kitted out with press etc....

how much should materials cost and how does it way up compared to buying readymade new carts....

finally, am i likely to blow my head off if i do it wrong. :yes:

if you can take the time to talk it through with me id be greatfull......

cheers.

guys ive seen a bit on reloading carts on here, and some of your setup's look sweet (bob300)....... its probably been covered on here a million times but id like some direct advice if im to start meddling with this stuff... B)

i guess over the coming years of shooting id rather have a go if its practical then keep handing cash over for new carts all the time...

as ive read on other posts, the bench building is the easy bit, its the technical points and costs im concerned with.....

what equipment do i need.....

what materials do i need....

can i buy shot/powder/wads easily...

how much should i expect to pay to get kitted out with press etc....

how much should materials cost and how does it way up compared to buying readymade new carts....

finally, am i likely to blow my head off if i do it wrong. :yes:

if you can take the time to talk it through with me id be greatfull......

cheers.

Taking your points in reverse order;

You would have to do something pretty silly to blow your head off, if you can't tie your own shoe laces, then just maybe reloading is not for you. If you keep to the specs in the loading charts, and don't do the "bit more for luck" approach you will be fine, powder is far safer than petrol, and people use that every day.

Material costs have always been higher than buying "tailor made" cartridges, the only time that it's cheaper is for big bore, heavy wildfowling loads and 410's.

A Lee loadall is probably the cheapest loading machine, search a few web-sites or gun mags for prices. Have a look at the Lee website for details of their gear.

Powder, primers, wads and shot are probably available at your gunshop, if not they will get it in for you.

A bench is not a necessity, your kitchen table will work fine.

Buy a book on shotgun cartridge re-loading and read it before you start, it will tell you the differences in case types etc. gunshops will give you loading charts for the powders that they stock, if not contact Edgar Brothers and they will post charts to you for most powders.

I would advise that you buy a set of powder scales to check your powder bushes or scoops.

Why do it? There is a huge amount of satisfaction in shooting a bird with a cartridge that you have loaded yourself, but for clay shooting cartridges you are not going to save money.

The key to consistent loads is no interruptions from children, 'er indoors etc. It's as easy to load a cartridge with no primer as it is with one!

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/loadall.html

http://www.edgar-brothers.co.uk/ORIGINAL_SITE/html/home.html

http://www.hodgdon.com/

Edited by bob300w

like bobs says he pretty much covered it all maybe find someone near to you to show you how to go on with reloading your own

im sure someone will be willing to show you the ropes

just ask anyone that you go shooting with or maybe any keepers etc someone somewhere near you will have experiance

good luck with it anyway

so are you saying it probably works out cheaper to buy ready mades???

oh and cheers for the reply bob... helpful as always mate.....

Yep, it's cheaper to buy ready rolled, it always has been, apart from, as I said, 410, big bores, and heavy wildfowling loads.

If you can find someone near you who used to load his own, he will probably still have some shot etc. it's worth asking your shooting mates, most people have tried at some time.

Rifle cartridges work out considerably cheaper, and better than factory ammo.