For the Norn Iron Boys

Ballymac

Can anyone explain this, a large field of barley not ripe, needed another few weeks, was cut like sileage right to within an inch or two of the ground. There is no straw lying on ground etc although the birds were on it in their 000's.

It just seems strange to go to the bother of growing barley and then cut it this way. I don't even think they harvested it ??

Anyone any ideas. I am going to try and meet the farmer, who BTW is mainly a dairy farmer, has some land near me.

Bumped into the farmer a few minutes ago, as it turned out it was his neighbour who had the field, which was barley but treated it as a sileage crop. Even this farmer thought it was strange.

There are hundreds of crows on it at the moment but won't last long as he is going to spread slurry on it and the cows will be on it tomorrow, what a wasted shooting opportunity, ah well thankfully I have a few other permissions to shoot on.

Was out on Saturday on barley that had been cut. Couldn't get out to nearly 3pm, put a couple of hundred pigeons off the field and the same of crows.

Set up and for the first 40 mins nothing. It was very calm and sunny. Could see a flock of crows sitting in a field 1/2 mile away.

Eventually they started coming back in ones and twos. Finished the day with 2 pigeons and 21 crows had to leave about 5pm.The birds were flocking into the field when I left. Will try to get an evening or two at them this week.