Yesterdays pigeon shooting

Kevitree

Well went out yesterday (Sat pm) along with my father in law and my eldest son,

Was my Son's 1st trip out and F-I-L agreed to take him and let him use his air rifle in a shared hide.

Spent a good hour or so around 2pm looking for any birds flying, nothing around in all the usual places, a reasonable flock of rooks was circling over one field, but no pigeons,

F-I-L had done some recce the previous PM but the field the pigeons were feeding on had been combined Sat AM and was now being bailed so no birds there

came back towards the farm that homes the pheasant shoot, and picked up on a few pigeons flying into the valley, drove into a field that had not been harvested and had lots of laid corn, overlooking the whole farm (gorgeous views) and well there they were, not a flock like you get up north but about 50/60 birds took off from the field and settled back down.

Just discussing with F-I-L where to set up the 2 hides when the farmer drives in behind us, usual plesentries, but with a I will be combining this field next, in about an hour. OK says us and agree to make most of next hour, F-I-L sets up just below a sitty tree with a quick hide and i go on down the outside of the field around the corner,

Set up a seat 2 rows into a maize cover crop thats growing, there was a couple of rows of previously harvested corn then a lot of laid. put out 5 frozen birds on cradles and 2 half shells on wobblers to add some movement.

Well the birds started coming in. 1st shot missed completley, I know i snatched at it, 2nd shot 1 bird folded, then got my 1st right and left, 2 birds coming into decoys, got the 1st folded nicely over the pattern and second flew up over me, usual thought as i followed it with the second barrel...I will never hit that, and bang it dropped down into the maize

Well the farmer didnt turn up to combine for about 3 hours..If i had known that i would of set a better pattern and put out my hide as i was facing the sun, and it was damn hot.

had a total of 8 woddies, picked up 6, (2 were too far out in the corn and collecting them would have done too much damage) for a total of 2.5 hours. Birds still flighting when combine started so a bit :good: could of had more.

Son had a good time in the hide with FIL, zeroed in the air rifle and wants to go out again... Now i am begining to think this could be getting more expensive

I know its not a big bag but it was enjoyable for me. We just returned from vacation, and whilst we were away we found that some (person) had taking a liking to our personal possesions. Jemmied open the front door and helped themselves.