AN AFTERNOONS SHOOTING

SNAKEBITE

Went out shooting this afternoon and to be honest I could have done better I think. (Well I came home with nothing for the pot so it went pretty poorly really!!).

The field that I shoot in has a good rabbit population or so I'm lead to believe by the amount of fresh droppings scattered around the field. Also there is a line of trees running down one side of the field and a small copse at the foot of the field.

The field slopes down hill towards the copse.

As I approached the top of the field I made sure that I was cammo'ed up with face and hands covered. The sun was behind me as was the wind. Entry to the field is only available from the top end so this was unavoidable.

I moved slowly and as silently as I could along the side of the field (side furthest from the line of trees) until I reached the copse at the bottom.

At various times during the afternoon I moved position along the copse trying to vary my line of site into the field. But apart from a couple of shots that missed into the copse at a couple of pigeons that were sitting in the branches there was nothing doing!! (Now if I had had a shot gun then it would have been a different story as there were LOADS of pigeons flying over and across my line of fire!!)

As the light went I called it a day.

What did I do wrong?

(Oh and what is the best time of day to get the rabbits?, any advice would be greatful!!)

If I want to decoy in the field could I put some grain down and a couple of decoys in the middle and retire to a safe distance?

Is this playing fair and will they go for it?

Sorry about the length of the thread but I have so much to learn!! :*) :*)

snakebite i do believe that the best time to shoot rabbits is at nite using a lamp and with regards to using some grain and some decoys would be ok but you will need to keep doing it for a few days before hand but ALSO there my be some sort of legal implications involved , iam sure someone will correct me .

pete

Rabbits are not the easiest to aproach this time of year because there is less cover for you to use. The aproach with the wind behind you is a problem as the rabits sense of smell is significant.best time to do the rabbits is dawn or dusk. or if you have a pest problem or need a big bag the lamp is the way forward. Decoying would work as would roost shooting, get in to the woods at dusk and shoot the pigeon s as they come in to roost. for this you will kneed a deacent scope with good light gathering properties low magnification and large diameter Objective lense is best for this.

A few sites for the decoying are bellow if you choose to go down that road

http://www.pigeon-decoys.co.uk/

http://www.pigeonwatch.co.uk/sscot2002.htm

http://www.##############/

http://www.pinewoodsporting.com/

Dave

The sun was behind me as was the wind.

Meaning your scent is being blown directly to any rabbits.

Wind in your face if possible.

Shooting pigeons with an airgun is vastly harder than a shotgun. You need to learn their lines of flight and popular perching trees. Once you know these an ambush can be laid though a shottie is by far the better tool for the job.

Unfortunately if the only way to the field is by the top then you are exposing yourself (Silhouette) even before you can get a decent shot. Try walking down the side of the field next to the hedge, or fence- just to blend in as much as possible. Or try minimising your silhouette by crawling.

Good luck,

Tody

Shooting on a wet or windy day is **** (if it was either)

Rifle shootin for rabbits requires extreme stealth and patience!

Night shootin provides more rabbits but they are harder to spot and easily spooked by the lamp.

A nice sunny/calm summers day is best

Rabbits are more warry in winter for some reason.

A shotgun is best as it provides sharp instinctive shots that you cannot take with a rifle