Newbie Hunting

tMike

Hi Guys,

Just joined your excellent forum and hoping to get some guidance regarding pigeon shooting.

I purchased a HW80 2.2 rifle twenty years ago and went shooting with a friend who used to live in Cambridge, if I remembered rightly we bagged about 30 woodies and had a feast on the barbi that weekend, since then due to work I was unable to take up the sport more seriously until my friend sadly hanged up his boots for the last time last summer, I decided to start doing the things I always wanted to do but put work first for some stupid reason.

I have been bagging a few woodies in my garden over the years but now would like to maybe go out shooting in field or woods for woodies, squirrels and rabbits.

I live in Enfield Middlesex EN3 and would like some advice on the legal side of shooting woodies – will I need a licence to shot them and can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can shoot them legally preferably local to me.

Regarding my HW80 – even after moderate use over 20+ years she still shoots true but now it’s a bit noisy even with the silencer on – If I get two woodies in my garden I can only get one due to the noise of the recoil - any advise on this.

I am also thinking of buying an AA S410 as a second gun because I was told that the S410 was whisper quite - any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Well that was a mouthful – Any advice would be much appreciated guys.

And a Happy and Prosperous New Year to All

tMike

You can't go wrong with an Air Arms. I've heard all good things apart from weight on the HW100 too.

In regards to the actual pigeon shooting you won't need a licence with a sub 12ft/lb airgun but you MUST have permission from the land owner of where you shoot as im sure you are aware. To do it in a field you will need to make a good hide to keep out of sight and then you need a good shot! Try getting some decoys to bring them in too.

That's my input but there are far better/more experienced shooters than me so hopefully they can shed more light on the subject.

Good luck! Take care

Lewis

The thing with getting a permission is that you have to get about and knock on a few doors - look for local farms or market gardens who appear to be having a problem - and be prepared for multiple rejections!

I was fortunate in that my two permissions (one for pigeons, the other for rabbits) came from friends of friends - so put the word out.

And practice like hell in your garden so that you are consistently accurate

There are a few key points you have to remember from my point of view.

1) Always be professional - Be polite, be respectful of land owners agreements/terms, always be prepared in regards to equipment, be sinsible of course when handling guns!

2) Don't attempt to aquire land etc until your skills are at the required level - one inch groups at the desired shooting range is a good 'aim point' (please excuse the bad jokes i'm a very sad person).

3) Be relaxed yet concentrated at all times. Whether it be target shooting, hide shooting pigeons or talking to your land owners basically refer to point 1).

I generally follow these basic steps and common sense will tell the rest. Building hides and stuff is a different technique but there are so many people who can give you great tips about that on here.

Lewis

what is wrong with spending a few quid getting the HW80 v-mached (tuned) not sure if you are aware what it does to a HW80 but it will be a different gun after.

hardly any recoil or twang, and you won't have to fill the thing up with compressed air just break the barrel and she's ready for another.

that is a qaulity springer you already have...make it better by transforming it with a tuning kit...very easy to install and worth every penny.

the HW80 has a great trigger also...and when also fettled feels even better...trust me i know i went from a BSA super 10 Mark III to a HW77K and the HW had more character, and didn't feel as clinical as the BSA.

although the BSA was i believe the best suited and overall gun i have owned...i still really liked the HW77K and if i was to choose any springer it would be either a HW80 or a HW77

ATB

Rod