More pigeon "roost" questions

El Gringo

I'm in the process of trying to locate the roosting area for some of the Bare-eyed Pigeons I've been hunting here in Venezuela. It's not looking like an easy task as the area's mountains are pretty rugged and there are few roads beyond established agricultural areas. I'm hoping that you forum members can offer some advice.

At first I thought that the watering hole I was hunting might also serve as a roosting area, but that does not appear to be the case. Yesterday, instead of hunting, I just sat for a couple of hours and observed the birds from a good vantage point.

They'd arrive in small groups, sit quietly in the bushes for a while, and then finally make their way to the water's edge. Thereafter they'd return to the bushes for a short rest and then would leave in small groups headed towards the WNW over a series of low mountains.

I'd also stationed a hunting buddy a mile away or so to the WNW to watch with binoculars to see if he could determine the exact direction the birds were headed, but unfortunately, he saw no birds! I suspect the birds were putting a mountain between themselves and my lookout.

Now to my questions.

1) Do pigeons use the same roosting areas year after year?

2) What makes for a good roosting area.....is there a common 'theme' that an experienced pigeon hunter would look for when searching for a potential roosting area?

3) Do pigeons that are feeding over a wide area tend to congregate in a single specific roosting area or do small groups of birds tend to roost together? In other words, in a specific region, let's say 100 square miles, are there typically multiple roosting areas or a single gathering point for all the birds?

Thanks for the patience and any help/ideas you blokes can provide. :devil:

El Gringo

It's a difficult subject to give an opinion on because of the difference in climate and conditions.

In the UK, birds will choose a roosting wood because it offers shelter from the wind and rain. Also, it would be located reasonably close to suitable feeding grounds, ie arable farmland. Obviously the pigeons would choose a relatively quiet location too.

Many of these woods are used by hundreds or even thousands of pigeons, year after year, probably because they satisfy the birds needs. There are many, many such roosting woods all around the country which can be many miles apart or only a few hundred yards apart. They attract any sized groups of pigeons from 1 to several hundred at a time.

I imagine that the pigeons where you are, are not so concerned with the cold, maybe the shade is a greater priority. They probably have a different diet too. They may not even roost in trees but may prefer rocky cliff faces up the mountainside.

Thanks Malc! I do appreciate your taking the time for that response.

Yes, I suspect you're correct when you comment that our birds are not too concerned with the cold. While some of the higher mountains here in Venezuela have colder climates, the coldest I've seen it to date in the area I'm hunting is 15C which I believe works out to about 64F. Hardly a problem for the average pigeon!

Over the last month or so I've seen a shift in their feeding habits from sorghum to corn, though I don't know how that would impact their roosting. That is, unless they're having to travel much farther distances to find corn, and therefore experiencing a much longer return trip. I have noticed that they're arriving later at the watering area, which might be related.

Though climate conditions are greatly different, I've been struck by the similarities in general habits of these birds as compared to those in the UK based on comments made by forum members. Hunting pigeons here is my first exposure to hunting pigeons anywhere and I find them to be dramatically different, and much more challenging (and satisfying) to hunt, than doves.

One thing I have noticed is that the birds really do seem to prefer their privacy. While there's a perfectly suitable-looking watering hole not too far from the one I've been hunting, I've never seen a single pigeon using it, yet the doves pour into there by the dozens. The only difference I can see is that the one not being utilized by the pigeons is within easy sight of a farm house that sits on a hill about 300 yards away.

I suspect that when I do finally find some roosting areas, they're going to be very remote and difficult to reach. Of course, I also expect to experience some exciting shooting too. :devil:

El Gringo

Edited by El Gringo