How to restore chequering?

bad_shot

Don't know if this is the right place, so feel free to move this post.

I've been restoring the wood on a shotgun. It's been stripped, sanded, stained, oiled and waxed and I would say the finish is now very good. As I was staining the wood, I did not want to mask of the chequering and get a colour mis-match. However, the chequering is now largely filled in smooth with wood oil and wax. Any tips for cleaning the chequering out to it's original state?

I was going to use white spirit on the chequering only, and then clean it out with a stiff nylon brush, but would be most interested in advice from people who actually know what they're doing! :lol:

normaly a stiff toothbrush will clean it out, i also use a soft bristled brass brush, pending the amount of **** there is in the chequering.

you may want to invest in a few chequering tools, easily purchased from a reputable gunshop over there, mine i buy from Brownells.

very easy to use on a pre exisiting stock to clean and resharpen the points, if you fancy your chances at rechequering the stock completley, get a pc of scrap to practice with first.

laying out your patern is crucial, box out the area map in a few lines to get the form be prepared to redo it a few times to match the whole area.

slow and steady is the key.

Martin.