Improving at Skeet

raistrick

This is the best advice I was given by several decent skeet shots and coaches: If you want to shoot Skeet as a seperate discipline, don't try to learn the targets by shooting a round and calling it a practice. Instead get to learn your hold and pick up points for each stand and shoot them all as singles to begin with but in the position which they appear as pairs. So, don't try and shoot the second bird until its passed the half way point as you wont ever be able to when it comes as a pair. This saves learning additional positions. Ive never tried it, but I have on more than one occasion heard the suggestion of starting at station 1 and only moving to the next when youre completely happy. If you miss a bird, move back a stand. This avoids you progressing until you are totally relaxed with no misses in your head.

I like the lighter load #9s but I have seen very average shots use 28g #9.5s to good effect - like any discipline you'll find a favourite.

My biggest failing - dont bl00dy move until you see the bird! Harder said than done for the more predictable targets like Skeet and DTL (for me anyway, pull, I'm off.....)

Don't worry about OS - find a mount which works for you, it may be pre mounted or just out of the pocket.

They are not difficult targets when compared to what youll find on your average sporting setup, the trick comes to calmly shooting them consistently.

Clay shooting doesn't have anything to do with shooting game. Why do people keep making ridiculous comparisons like this? Clay shooting is a competitive sport, shooting game is not. The gun up/gun down argument cannot be connected to game shooting, it is not the same thing at all.

Some times if you have some one who is new to clays but has shot game it makes sense to adapt what they already know (if it is good i.e . stance mount swing etc) to the clays than to start from scratch. To be honest I know a lot of game shooters who started on clays that are very good but not that many the other way round. I guess it is to easy to learn bad habits of stance etc when game shooting and it is harder to analize and coach. I did hear of a keeper coming to our local club who had never shot english sKeet before and he cleaned it!!

Dave