Lightforce 170 - Which battery ?

Birdboy

Hi guys.

Just about to buy a Lightforce 170 for the HMR and ultimately to go on the imminent 223.

I would appreciate some advice on the different ampage Deben 12v batteries. What is the difference in the 7/10/14/18ah batteries ? Do they all provide the same amount of power as each other but dont last as long ?

Many thanks

i use 2x 7Ah batteries on a belt pack. They don't last any where near as long as advertised. When used for a period of time the battary performance may not diteriate too fast but the distance of the beam does, this is annoying when foxing, it would not be so much of an issue for rabbits. It would last for 2 hours of intermitent use on foxes and probably double that for rabbit shooting distances before needing a charge. Also the standard chargers are rubbish, i find a car battery charger to be a lot better and shorter charging times. I wouldn't want any more weight than the 2 x 7Ah batteries that i have. Hope this helps.

James

Did you get a dimmer? I believe you have a 75W bulb in it as standard on scope mounted Strikers.

I use a 100W in mine, I use my dimmer to set it low power for scanning, then I can ramp up the light when I need to shoot. I've an 18amp and 20 amp battery. Next year if I need batteries I won't buy anything less than 24amp.

I lamp on foot and my light is always on. People who lamp from vehicles using a car powered light as their main lamp won't need nearly as big a battery for their job.

i have the scope mounted striker and nearly always lamp on my own. I did try the 100w lamp and went back to the 75w for battery life reasons but i dont have a dimmer. I think a dimmer would be useful for rabbits, just not sure how reliable they are.

Get one from Deben, there's one available from Opticswarehouse (I think) but it's only rated for a 50W bulb. The Deben one will handle a 100W bulb no problem. I've two inline dimmers from them and they don't give trouble once you've it soldered together right. I DIY'd mine and I'm no DIYer :good:

i have the scope mounted striker and nearly always lamp on my own. I did try the 100w lamp and went back to the 75w for battery life reasons but i dont have a dimmer. I think a dimmer would be useful for rabbits, just not sure how reliable they are.

Imo a 10amp/hr battery is the one to go for, battery life is greatly extended if you look after them, always charge after every outing and store fully charged, run them completely flat 3 times a year and use the correct charger.

Lightforce 170 are now available with a built in dimmer they have copied the Deben tracer "Gamekeeper" hand held lamp.

I currently use a Deben 100w dimmer strapped to the handle of a hand held 170 with 100w vertical filament bulb this gives an improved spot beam as opposed to the horizontal filament normally fitted, the lamp also doubles as a rooflamp by screwing on to the roof T bar of the Defender.

I will be changing to a built in dimmer 170 very soon for no other reason other than neatness.

Rgds D2D.