how to moderate a .410

hill billy

hello i brought another .410 a month or so ago a bolt action three shot 3" magnum norica the same as my very first gun and my old webley and scott single shot is sitting in the cabinet looking all sad for it's self and so i was wondering if it's possible to get the gun moderated with out costing a fortune any help would be great

cheers

I have one fitte to a Webley&Scott B/A .410. The rifle end of the moderator un-screws (as does the other end for cleaning) and you have to take it to a gun smith / engineer and have the inside turned to match your barrel. Once it's a good snug fit (Ideal on my tapered barrel) apply some thread lock or similar and GENTLY tap it home with a wooden or rubber mallet. Mine has been on for almost 2 years and never come loose.

As for efficiency I'm at a dissadvantage, as far as I'm aware all subsonic cart's are 3" and I'm chambered for 2 1/2", however I reload my own cases to keep it subsonic. In use a standard cartridge is quieter but not by a huge margin. Subsonic home loads are superb! Quieter than my Webley&Scott raider PCP without a mod and a smidgen louder than it with a mod. Groups seem to be tighter with a mod however it took me an age to get used to shooting it! Hang up some wall paper from a tree and shoot it loads to get used to aim/impact.

On the whole I would reccomend them, it allows me to use it in places I would not normally dream of with a shot gun! :good: