Terrier as a gun dog?

Gents,

I have recently starting shooting with a shotgun. When I used to hunt with a rifle/airgun, the quarry was always easy to pick up, now I am taking birds on the wing, collection isn't always so simple.

I have a Jack Russell / Border Terrier cross who I would like to train as a gun dog. I have taken him out when I have been shooting and he loves it. He will run around like a maniac and flush birds out. He's not scared of the muzzle blast and helps me to retrieve, finishing off any birds that are still twitching. I make sure I get them off him before he rips them apart though.

The question is, how far can I train him as a gundog. I know he will never win any prizes as a retriever, but can I teach him the basics? Baring in mind that he is 6 years old, is he to old to learn now?

I don't have space at home for another dog, so even if he can't be trained any further I'd still take him out with me as he is a great companion.

Thanks for any advice you might have on this subject.

Edited by Westcountryman