HW80 help

blacta

My HW80 has just been resprung, do i need to wear it in? Also does it damage the rifle to fire it without any pellets in it?

Im 16 and shoot accuratly enough with a .22 and AAS200 but i get a grouping of about 5/6 inches with my HW80 .22 any advice/ things i could do to inprove it?

Also does it matter if there is grease in front of the seal?

Many Thanks Toby :look:

Never dry fire a spring gun mate(with no pellet) as for the 5/6 inch grouping sounds like a real problem, i owned a gun like that and had to have the barrel recrowned and new pellet seat cost me £75.

Who resprung the gun? does it still give large groupings without the silencer if it has one?

It was resprung by a local gunsmith but he removed no old oil e.t.c so i did it myself, i wish i resprung it myself cost 40 quid

Its at 11.5 apparently and it has a Hawke 3-9x40 scope

Im using Bisley Magnums atm

Thanks for the advice!

There should be no oil and very little grease arond the piston/spring area so you were right to remove it, you dont want the gun dieseling as this will effect accuracy and could cause damage, have you checked all screws are tight on gun and scope?

11.5 ft/lb is good, have you tried Superdome pellets and a silly question, but when you shoot are you letting the gun recoil correctly ie a firm grip but not too tight and not resting on a hard surface.

*throws in my tuppence worth*

I would say Bisley Magnums are a bit heavy for a springer, definitely going to cause some inconsistencies and could actually damage the gun. What sort of oil did you put on the spring and is it possible your gunsmith had greased it instead, springs should really have grease not oil on them.

Even if all is well a new spring will take a little while to settle, stick about half a tin of a lighter pellet through it then try zeroing again with a lighter pellet - RWS Superdomes or similar

Edited by Colster