Laptop Problem

taz24

I down loaded a software t turn cd music t mp3 for my phone.

It was a virus or somthing and it messed with my PC big time.

I have sorted most of the problems but the letter o and the minus

key now do not work.

D yu knw hw hard it is t write withut a letter o. I have t paste it in

from a word document.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this problem.

Whatever it was it beat my security precautions.

Cheers taz.

Ps can anyone recomend a mp3 converter software that wont kill my putter

this may help

do you have itunes if so open it select track then at the top of the screen click ADVANCED and towards the bottom of the list it says CONVERT TO MP3

or right click the track them click convert to MP3 and it will make a conversion and plas it under the original track

Edited by BSA-airgunner

I'm not an IT expert, but have you tried reverting to a 'restore point' set before you downloaded the offending virus?

Go to 'Start', then 'Help and Support', and then 'Undo changes to your computer with System Restore'. This can sometimes solve the problem. Please read the associated explanantion to be sure you're happy doing this - as I say, I'm not an IT bod.

this may help

do you have itunes if so open it select track then at the top of the screen click ADVANCED and towards the bottom of the list it says CONVERT TO MP3

or right click the track them click convert to MP3 and it will make a conversion and plas it under the original track

Cheer Guys.

N I d nt have itunes , but thanks fr the advice.

I'm not an IT expert, but have you tried reverting to a 'restore point' set before you downloaded the offending virus?

Go to 'Start', then 'Help and Support', and then 'Undo changes to your computer with System Restore'. This can sometimes solve the problem. Please read the associated explanantion to be sure you're happy doing this - as I say, I'm not an IT bod.

Yes thanks, it was the system restre that gt my system back.

What ever it was realy messed with my system and I had t use safe mde t

srt the prblem ut.

Cheers fr the advise guys.

As yu can see, I still have n

cheers taz.

do you have a normal USB key board from a tower computer if you do plug this in if it works you may have a nackered key board on the lap top

I do have access to a normal board but I know it is a bug because

I watched it happen in front of me but culd not do anything t stop it.

Cheers taz.

System restores can often re start the virus so be careful.do you have anti virus software? if not a.v.g is a really good option the free version they offer is spot on.

i convert all my songs to mp3 using windows media player,or there are a lot of good free to use ones on download.com.

Edited by dazzy_lee

System restores can often re start the virus so be careful.do you have anti virus software? if not a.v.g is a really good option the free version they offer is spot on.

i convert all my songs to mp3 using windows media player,or there are a lot of good free to use ones on download.com.

I tried the media player and could not figure out how to save as mp3.

I have AVG and Antivir but it beat them both.

Cheers taz.

when you say you saw it happen right in front of you, what happened?

letter o for Oscar? i take it that the 890p;lki (the keys that surround it are all ok)

what other effects did the virus have on your PC?

if you have tried restoring and that hasn't helped, If you are running XP, or Vista then open up device manager and at the manual input devices, un install your keyboard driver. Then reboot your machine it will automatically reload the device driver thus refreshing it. (make sure you have a usb keyboard about just in case it has a moment, but it should be fine) if this doesn't work.

Drop the details of the computer on the thread,

Make, Model, Operating System and if possible the driver details for the keybaord.

Just one last thing and now you will all see what i do for a living really,

You have tried turning it off completly and back on again?? you'd be amazed how many thing are solved from a simple power down (not a restart but full power off, wait for 20 seconds, back on)

letter o for Oscar? i take it that the 890p;lki (the keys that surround it are all ok)

if you have tried restoring and that hasn't helped, If you are running XP, or Vista then open up device manager and at the manual input devices, un install your keyboard driver. Then reboot your machine it will automatically reload the device driver thus refreshing it. (make sure you have a usb keyboard about just in case it has a moment, but it should be fine) if this doesn't work.

Make, Model, Operating System and if possible the driver details for the keybaord.

You have tried turning it off completly and back on again?? you'd be amazed how many thing are solved from a simple power down (not a restart but full power off, wait for 20 seconds, back on)

:blink: Thanks yes I pulled the plug and the battery out a few times.

Thankyou I tried the uninstall and it did reboot and load the driver.

Unfortunately the o and minus key still do not work. (I copy and paste :yes: )

I will get the info required and repost.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...dvice/0080.mspx

this might help with the mp3 problem

Mp3 now sorted thanks t you. Perhaps I should of asked first. :yes::yes:

Thanks Guys.

taz.

The opperating system is

Micrsoft Windows XP

Home edition

version 2002

Acer Acer system Intel ® Celeron ® m

Prcessor 1.50ghz

1.50ghz,245mb of RAM

Key board driver is.

File Version 3.10.0.103

Description WoW keyboard driver mdule

Thanks taz.

A full factory restoration using your back up discs or the hdd restore file within ure hard drive will almost certainly solve this issue. I almost certainly as my son had the same issues with keyboard buttons not working, IE the directional arrows and a few letter button, i carried out the restoration and the problem still remained, ended up had to replace the keyboard and update the bios.

I loaded the software and the key warrning tone started sounding instantly.

(the noise that is made, if you press a key for the wrong function).

Then within seconds the status bar started filling up with o's and then my machine

locked up. I pulled the plug seconds later and we went from there

Factory re-install solves all issues.

Do mine once a year whether I think it's slow or not - it's amazing how much quicker it feels when all the **** is removed!

A full factory restoration using your back up discs or the hdd restore file within ure hard drive will almost certainly solve this issue. I almost certainly as my son had the same issues with keyboard buttons not working, IE the directional arrows and a few letter button, i carried out the restoration and the problem still remained, ended up had to replace the keyboard and update the bios.

Cheers guys.

A system restoration is the last option and I will do it if all else fails.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

taz.

Edited by taz24