Improving My Woods

If you start coppicing the hazel, I'll be after you for an armful of straight-ish ones for stick making.......just warning you. :lol:

If you want a hand for a work party, just shout.

if your ever coming over essex way, gimme a shout beforehand, we have tons of hazel in our woods, and will be doing some more coppicing in the next month if this rain ever stops

If you start coppicing the hazel, I'll be after you for an armful of straight-ish ones for stick making.......just warning you. :lol:

If you want a hand for a work party, just shout.

How many do you want Paul?

I'll be starting the tree work around March time so will keep some aside for you.

Smaller bits of Hazel are good for propping up dead decoys too!

H.

Edited by wannabe_keeper

How many do you want Paul?

I'll be starting the tree work around March time so will keep some aside for you.

Smaller bits of Hazel are good for propping up dead decoys too!

H.

Maybe a dozen would be good please. As said, let me know if you'd like a hand.

Mibbee different further south but bracken doesn't tend to stand to well further north esp after first frost, even with the mild year we have had this year braken has been as flat as a pancake for a while now and offers little holding/flushing cover unless fell ontop of something (brash piles).

We use upside down fir trees or xmas trees cut in half, the Bracken grows through the trees and creates good covers easy to walk through and stays until late in the season. Edited by malantone

Just as an addition, we had the same problems on a shoot I used to be a member of.

The best advice was first to draw a plan on paper - second to plant shrubs on the prevailing wind side of the wood to 'warm the wood'. Paraweb or other geotextile, whilst expensive, is instant protection and warmth.

Third, thicken the wood at ground level and within 15m of the wood edge with hawthorn or cotoneaster or any quick growing evergreen or berry bearing shrubs.

The best improvement though was to put up wires on heavy vertical posts about 4' high and drape brashings, butt end up, from the wire to the ground - this provides cover but when bracken grows through it keeps the cover upright and useful even after heavy frosts. As said above, these wires should be arranged in V's, the v pointing towards the guns, allowing beaters to walk between and dogs to work the rows.

Radio tagging studies have shown that the highest density of pheasants is within 0-30M of the wood edge, mostly within 15M and few venture further in, by choice. So, if the cover is good at the edges and its warm, its probably the best you can do - leave the rest to the brambles.