Shooting sticks...

Tony9r

As I'm STILL waiting for my FAC to arrive :angry: , I've been buying bit's & bob's for my future .22 rimmy... scope, mounts, scope mounted lamp etc, and now want to buy a set of shooting sticks.

Do I go for the bi or tri... what do you use, and what's your opinions - advantages/disadvantages? :lol:

same here ,im waiting on a cz 17 hmr varmint from the end of december seems like forever,ive been gathering a few bits and pieces as well,i have a large bank stick i used for fishing with a plastic u shape that screws in at the top i reckon its perfect for a shooting stick,maybe just to use lamping,also have a harris bipod for daylight hours.

:angry: I use several different things.

For open hill stalking I use a bipod made from 3/4 inch hardwood that can be carried and height adjusted by opening and closing more or less as required.

For roe stalking in woodland areas I use a set of garden poles that are about 6 ft tall and held together with a piece of bungee rope (all from b&q). These are used for standing shots or again varied for sitting and kneeling shots.

For vermin shooting I use a harris bipod.

Hope this helps.

You will notice that the first 2 are home made and will cost less than £10 to make.

:lol::angry::angry:

Thanks for all the advice guy's :lol:

I shall be getting a Harris bipod for sure, but also wanted the sticks as I will be roaming a golf course with the rimmy - lamping in the evenings, so was looking at standing shots as well as prone :angry:

Then they have to be biod type sticks, easy to walk with and quick to set up and if you cant shoot steady enough off them you should maybe take up another sport. Seriously they tripod takes too much setting up for a quick shot, I use the bipod type myself for all stalking

These are better than the Harris as they are lightweight and can be taken off when not needed and put in your pocket, i use these on my .270, .222 and will be using them on my CZ varmint when i collect it :lol::angry:

Stoney Point Rapid Bi-pod

stoneypointbi-pod012.jpg

stoneypointbi-pod010.jpg

stoneypointbi-pod004.jpg

stoneypointbi-pod003.jpg

For sitting down and ambushing (took the idea from the stoney point steady stix) i made these from modern tent poles cost for these about £2.00 :angry::angry:

sticks1copy.jpg

sticks003.jpg

sticks004.jpg

To make your shooting sticks (when standing) more sturdy, try getting a length of rope approximately 2 feet longer than your sticks.

Tie one end around the swivel point. Now tie a loop at the other end.

Simply drop the loop on the ground and stand on it. This makes a third leg to your sticks and you effectively have a tripod!

No hassle, very quick to deploy.

You'll have to experiment with length etc, but it really does make a difference. :stupid: