spaniel problems

molly2001

went on a walked up day today and shot a couple of rabbits for my 19 month old ess. i sent her for the retrieve and she messed about with it and wouldnt come back with it .while she was messing about with it you could here the ribs crunching do you think she will improve with experience or will she always be hard mouthed

It's hard to say without having seen it. Some dogs react differently if the game isn't dead and is still struggling. The best advice I can give is to go back to basics. Sit her in front of you and gently place the rabbit in her mouth in the correct position. Praise her gently whilst keeping it there then give the command to leave and take it away. Praise her again then repeat a minute or so later. Do this a few times then take a step back and get her to carry the rabbit to you. Once you have repeated this several times. Put the rabbit down a few feet away and send her to fetch it.

The main aim of this exersise is to get the dog to understand how to hold game. Praise her gently when she's doing it right, change your tone to a more gruff inflextion the instant she tries to mouth or crush the game.

Were the rabbits dead, that could make a difference if the dog is not used to movement in his mouth?

If they were (dead) I'll throw my lot in now and say I'd be very concerned about the dogs mouth... broken bones in game isn't mouthing or excitement, it's hard and I'm afraid that's that.