Ruger 1022 - Damage to receiver - is it terminal!

Fraz

Gents

Looking for some assistance from any shooters of 10/22's.

Whilst using my 10/22 today I was getting the occasional case not fully ejecting - on stripping it down this evening for a clean I noticed a small piece of metal has broken off in the receiver, just level with the end of the barrel

- see pic, piece missing is just below the shiny spot.

Has anyone else have this happen to them? - and was it terminal for the receiver?

(Having just had a small heart attack looking at the cost of new ones!)

Any thoughts appreciated

post-18965-1264281362.jpg

Have managed to get a slightly better pic this morning

- damage can be seen at 3 o'clock just inside the action on the small lip that runs around the inside of the action where the cartridges eject - there is some damage at 1 to 2 o'clock then the missing bit at 3 o'clock (would add an arrow but can't work out how to 'paste' onto a photo)

Your thoughts, as always, appreciated

Fister

Thanks for adding the 'red box' (******** if I could work out how to add it!) broken bit can be seen just outside the top left bit of your 'red box', with the 'inner lip' of the action showing some damage just above where the bits broken off - hope that makes more sense

cheers

fraz

post-18965-1264338218.jpg

Edited by Fraz

• 2 weeks later...

That just looks like a bit of flashing that's broken off the receiver casting, if I'm interpreting the picture right. If so, I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. If it is flashing, that's just excess material caused by the casting process that the yanks were too bone idle to remove at the factory,and doesn't even belong there in the first place.

All the receiver does, really, is hold the bolt and the breech together, so to speak. The receiver plays no part in gas sealing etc., that's done by obturation (the brass expanding against the inside of the chamber under pressure), so I don't think the gun's about to blow up or anything.

Obviously you can see the damage better than we can, but I reckon you'll be alright as you are. Final word has to be, though, if you are in ANY doubt that there may be a safety issue, take it to a gunsmiths. If it's nothing, then you might feel a bit foolish for worrying about nothing, but that's better than what you might feel if there IS a safety issue and you do nothing.

Safety first, fun second.