Venison

taffygun

Beginning of last week I had some venison delieverd in the form of a medium joint of Roe(doe) and a hind leg of Fallow(doe).

They were both promtly put in the freezer to be used whenever. Now last Saturday I decided that I would make a nice venison stew, after all it is still cold out :yes: I went to the freezer and the Roe came to hand first so I used that, completely defrosted it over night and then roasted it 200C for approx 3hrs - it came out stunning, same texture as beef almost.

Last night I decided to do the same with the Fallow, roughly the same size, if not slightly bigger than the Roe joint I took it out of the freezer, defrosted and roughly the same cooking time but this time the texture is almost like liver and the taste, well its a lot like the taste of Hare :yes::lol:

Is this right ? Have I done something wrong ?

How can the two cuts of venison be totally different. I had venison years ago when I was a kid as my late uncle used to stalk deer up towards the Malverns somewhere and from what I remember of it was like the Roe i'd cooked previously.

Are the different species of Deer that far apart taste and texture wise ?