Roost woods at noon

Blackpowder

Went out today for a couple of hours starting at 12 noon to a wood on one of my permissions called the cushat wood. Before starting I had spied around with field glasses and seen very little pigeon activity from my 360 deg vantage point.

Still ensconsed in shelter , perched on a shooting stick with a flat topped feeder making a fine table for my flask it appeared to be going to be a waiting game. Well no, a steady trickle of birds began to fly the wood from west to east, wind was easterly by the way, and a total of 5 picked and 3 lost flew into the pattern for around 20 shots, abysmal! But the reason for this post is to say that none of the birds picked had a vestige of food in their crops, 5 were in good winter condition and one a little on the thin side. The snow has been gone for two weeks now, ample rape fields around but why had these birds not fed with half the daylight hours gone. I suspect some were heading for the above mentioned pheasant feeder? Perhaps! Anyone else finding birds have not fed by mid day?

Blackpowder

ya when i was out sunday the forth bird shot was very thin but the rest

was ok bit weird the snow has been gone for a while here to and plenty

to feed on . but the snow is back today aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Hi pigeonmad, no snow here at the moment and since starting this thread I have dressed out a couple of today's quarry for a session in the slow cooker. A few specs of osr in the crops of both and I mean specks, birds plump and actually had fat in the body cavity.

Blackpowder