This time of year

Dunkield

I have recently acquired access to 1,200 acres of land, I don't know too much about it other than having good look round it back in August time. There were plenty of pigeons swirling about. Being a bit of a novice pigeon shooter I have managed to gleen that was probably the best time to have shot the land but I didn't have the time then :*)

I will soon have the spare time, but is it worth the effort or should I hang on? I should add the land is 70 miles from where I live so short sessions aren't really a viable option.

I hope this hasn't been asked too many times before, and would welcome any input, thanks.

Stuartp…having pigeon shooting 70 miles from home isn’t so good. How you gonna recce it? Keep an eye on the place? Methinks you could be in for an awful lot of aborted journeys. Shooting pigeons (successfully) means spending more time lookin’ than shootin’. Find yourself a more local partner or find yourself a more local shoot.

If you`re 70 miles away `hanging on` is not an option! There will never be a right time to shoot the land unless the pigeons are there, and you will be doing fuel in cold blood for no result. Could the farmer/landowner let you know when the pigeons are on the land? Although, knowing farmers, there will always me `millions of pigeons` eating him out of house and home. Even then one day they`ll be there and the next two farms away. I don`t envy you mate, but then I have thousands of acres right on my doorstep, shoot three times a week and STILL spend hours looking for the *******!!

Thanks guys :sly:

The farmer thinks he has a problem with pigeons, and in all fairness I have seen a few about, but he also thinks he has rabbit problems and I have only ever seen about 5!

The place is overrun with hares but he wants those saved along with the foxes.

As soon as I can get something a bit nearer I will focus on that (but I live the the valley of gun owners, otherwise known as Thames...)

The attraction of the land is it is in a very picturesque Cotswold village with a few decent pubs and is about halfway between me and my my mate, so can see the tempatation on a summers day/evening :thumbs: