Hornady A-Max .223

O.K. here is quite a technical one.

75gn Hornady BT A-MAX. Having got to grips with the Sierras 69gn, I thought I would give the A-MAX a go.

Using the OAL gauge and comparator, I measured the length at 2.9195” seated off 0.01” to give 2.9095”. But having loaded a dummy up to measure 2.9095” when I measure the COL its 2.46”, but the Hornady book for 75gn A-MAX says COL should be = 2.39”?

I have my die set up for 69 grain sierras which were measuring 2.917 (0.01" off) so assumed the die setting would only need marginal tweeking, which was wrong as trying a dummy at this setting for the A-MAX assuming I could take it down to the required length the A-Max actaully came out 2.885". Now I did read something about the ogive on the A-MAX and that dies needed to be modified to take them?

Comments?

O.K. here is quite a technical one.

75gn Hornady BT A-MAX. Having got to grips with the Sierras 69gn, I thought I would give the A-MAX a go.

Using the OAL gauge and comparator, I measured the length at 2.9195” seated off 0.01” to give 2.9095”. But having loaded a dummy up to measure 2.9095” when I measure the COL its 2.46”, but the Hornady book for 75gn A-MAX says COL should be = 2.39”?

I have my die set up for 69 grain sierras which were measuring 2.917 (0.01" off) so assumed the die setting would only need marginal tweeking, which was wrong as trying a dummy at this setting for the A-MAX assuming I could take it down to the required length the A-Max actaully came out 2.885". Now I did read something about the ogive on the A-MAX and that dies needed to be modified to take them?

Comments?

so your saying you cant get it to the length of the 69 grain ammo your shooting even tho the die is set to that ? the book guide is the lenght they give so the bullets feed from the mag properly. most people from what i have seen on the net has to load there into the rifle single handed because they find the rounds shoot better in there rifle with a longer col.

of course this is when you get problems feeding it from the mag then because its longer then the recommended book lenght.

as for the bullet seating of course the vmax bullets will be longer then your others so will give you a different col so your have to tweek the die to suite.

do you messure your bullets to the ogive ? this is the best way. going from the tip bullet lengths are never the same. even from the same make

im sure there will be someone on in a moment that no's alot more about reloading then i do. who will put you right

atb

so your saying you cant get it to the length of the 69 grain ammo your shooting even tho the die is set to that ? the book guide is the lenght they give so the bullets feed from the mag properly. most people from what i have seen on the net has to load there into the rifle single handed because they find the rounds shoot better in there rifle with a longer col.

of course this is when you get problems feeding it from the mag then because its longer then the recommended book lenght.

as for the bullet seating of course the vmax bullets will be longer then your others so will give you a different col so your have to tweek the die to suite.

do you messure your bullets to the ogive ? this is the best way. going from the tip bullet lengths are never the same. even from the same make

im sure there will be someone on in a moment that no's alot more about reloading then i do. who will put you right

atb

No the 69 grainers are fine I have cracked that. It was just that when I had done all the measuring the 75 grain A-Max were longer than the COL recomended in the handbook. However I have spoken to a knowlegeable loader who basically says the same as you re magazine and single cartridge loading. That is you have made a custom bullet for "your" rifle as as long as you have measured correctly and a dummy round (NO PRIMER OR POWDER!!!!) chambers in your rifle then its O.K.

On the Ogive, different manufactuers bullets will press up differently even if they have very simalar measured lengths on the OAL gauge, which is down to the Ogive, Presumably!

yes if it chambers ok it will be fine. as you said the book col is just so it feeds from the mag with no problem.

you should get some good groups with them. i see alot of people on the forms are using them latley

yes yourt right on the ogive front. different bullets as you no have different necks so will give different mesurements depending where it sits in the ogive.

Edited by jamie g