Ignorant press coverage of pigeon shooting

Blunderbuss

Like it or not some of the the respondees to the article have interpreted the GL absolutely correctly and many of us shoot woodpigeon for pleasure or sport reasons using the ambiguity of the General Licence as cover.

We have posts on this forum almost daily by some who are looking to shoot pigeons 2 3 sometimes four times a week in areas where crop predation is not a real issue, and others of course who make a living out of it, One poster recently even wanted reassurance that putting up decoys essentially in what was his back garden was OK !

I bet there is less than 10 % of our members who have calls from Farmers regularly requesting pigeon control.

No I know its not illegal.

However what we should be doing rather than replying to these articles is lobbying our associatons like the BASC to ensure that the legislation on Pigeon shooting as a valid inclusion on the General list is unrestricted, clear,unambiguous and unequivocal, the next time that Defra review the legislation.

Im sure this will happen and Shooting Pigeon will one day be restricted to certain months over certain crops, Which in my opinion is how it should be.

Light the blue touch paper and stand back......

FM

Like it or not some of the the respondees to the article have interpreted the GL absolutely correctly and many of us shoot woodpigeon for pleasure or sport reasons using the ambiguity of the General Licence as cover.

We have posts on this forum almost daily by some who are looking to shoot pigeons 2 3 sometimes four times a week in areas where crop predation is not a real issue, and others of course who make a living out of it, One poster recently even wanted reassurance that putting up decoys essentially in what was his back garden was OK !

Im sure this will happen and Shooting Pigeon will one day be restricted to certain months over certain crops, Which in my opinion is how it should be.

Light the blue touch paper and stand back......

FM

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to shoot pigeons anywhere where you have permission to use a gun and it is safe (in your back garden with an airgun even) just on the grounds that you want to eat them. It's the kindest, most moral carbon-neutral and free-range way of rearing meat and does the countryside a favour by reducing the population of a pest species.

You wouldn't restrict killing rats to certain months over certain types of dustbin.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to shoot pigeons anywhere where you have permission to use a gun and it is safe (in your back garden with an airgun even) just on the grounds that you want to eat them. It's the kindest, most moral carbon-neutral and free-range way of rearing meat and does the countryside a favour by reducing the population of a pest species.

You wouldn't restrict killing rats to certain months over certain types of dustbin.

No but your analogy isnt valid...the general Licence on the shooting of rats is quite clear whereas with wood pigeons its vague and Ambiguous...It needs clearing up next time it is renewed.

can we legally shoot woodpigeon at any time of the year, anywhere (within reason) or not ?

Its not bloody rocket science. :blush:

No but your analogy isnt valid...the general Licence on the shooting of rats is quite clear whereas with wood pigeons its vague and Ambiguous...It needs clearing up next time it is renewed.

can we legally shoot woodpigeon at any time of the year, anywhere (within reason) or not ?

Its not bloody rocket science. :blush:

Sure. I totally agree with you on the ambiguity. Just suggesting that it would be easier for everyone if the general licence said you could shoot them whenever/wherever you feel like it.