Anyone been shooting in Gran Canaria

Slug

The canaries are part of the EU but not for allowances or tax issues. They are part of Spain but there is no VAT. They are Tax Free Islands, almost, there is a different tax system. Regarding shooting, have a look at the links. Give us a shout if you need any help with the translation.

http://www.tiroalcorcon.com/clubs.htm

http://www.institutoinsulardedeportes.com/tiroolimpico/

http://www.grancanaria.com/patronato_turis...ico.2385.0.html

Just the mention of Gran Canaria.

I was on holiday with my ma in the 1990s at Hotel Gloria Palace

They had a little plinking range and had regular competions in the afternoon.

So ma enters the competion (she is way better than me with an air rifle) and beats all comers

including a German gentleman whose vocabulary didn't include losing.

OMG

He didn't like coming 2nd and cut up all rough :D

BTW ma rang on wed, dropped a bunny from the bathroom window one handed (she has disloc her shoulder) with a webley excel with open sights!!!

Just out of interest does anyone know what you can hunt in gran canaria. also you can get some good fishing out of Puerto Rico so that might be worth looking at.

There is rabbit, partridge, doves and ferral pigeons to shoot(and some quail in tenerife :good: ). They are all considered game rather than vermin so there is a season for them. You can hunt with dogs and ferrets from july and with guns from september until november but only on thursdays and sundays. You can hunt with birds of prey and bows :hmm: on wednesdays and saturdays. There is a limit to how many heads you can shoot a day and I think during the season but can not remember :P . The bags tend to be small, and the starts are early, at dawn.

In Tenerife you can also shoot Muflon.

Regarding fishing, try to get out on a boat. Coastal fishing is tricky unless you know what you are doing. See if you can find an ex-pat that is into it(commercial fishermen have depleated the coastal fish, even though there are restricted areas) September is a good time to go as there is plenty of bonitos, they give you a good fight and are nice to eat.

There is rabbit, partridge, doves and ferral pigeons to shoot(and some quail in tenerife :good: ). They are all considered game rather than vermin so there is a season for them. You can hunt with dogs and ferrets from july and with guns from september until november but only on thursdays and sundays. You can hunt with birds of prey and bows :birthday: on wednesdays and saturdays. There is a limit to how many heads you can shoot a day and I think during the season but can not remember :shoot: . The bags tend to be small, and the starts are early, at dawn.

In Tenerife you can also shoot Muflon.

Regarding fishing, try to get out on a boat. Coastal fishing is tricky unless you know what you are doing. See if you can find an ex-pat that is into it(commercial fishermen have depleated the coastal fish, even though there are restricted areas) September is a good time to go as there is plenty of bonitos, they give you a good fight and are nice to eat.

wow Muflon in Tenerife do you know what sort of price you would pay to take one of these

cheers

wow Muflon in Tenerife do you know what sort of price you would pay to take one of these

cheers

I'll try to find out. They are trying to get rid of them as they are eating the local flora. They were introduced for shooting as they thought they would not cause any problems. Apparently it is difficult to get a pass.

I'll try to find out. They are trying to get rid of them as they are eating the local flora. They were introduced for shooting as they thought they would not cause any problems. Apparently it is difficult to get a pass.

yeah if you could try find out a price and contact that would be good as im thinking of going at the end of the year

cheers

dan

Right,

This is complicated. To shoot muflon, you have to get a special license(you need to get a license to shoot small game also). You can do it on your own or join a club to do it on your behalf(preferred option). Last year there were two open seasons, from the 4th to 29th of may and from the 2nd to 30th of october.

In Spain, you have to take an exam to get a shooting license. This consists of 20 questions with multiple options, 3, of which only one is right. The test lasts one hour and you have to get 15 right. You also have a practical exam in which you have to identify quarry.

I know people go shooting partridge in Spain. Does anyone know if you have to take this tests?

I hope that helps. If you want me to contact the local authorities, let me know.

Right,

This is complicated. To shoot muflon, you have to get a special license(you need to get a license to shoot small game also). You can do it on your own or join a club to do it on your behalf(preferred option). Last year there were two open seasons, from the 4th to 29th of may and from the 2nd to 30th of october.

In Spain, you have to take an exam to get a shooting license. This consists of 20 questions with multiple options, 3, of which only one is right. The test lasts one hour and you have to get 15 right. You also have a practical exam in which you have to identify quarry.

I know people go shooting partridge in Spain. Does anyone know if you have to take this tests?

I hope that helps. If you want me to contact the local authorities, let me know.

thanks for the info, sounds a bit much to do for a days shooting while on holiday but i supose it might be worth it

thanks again

Dan