What is a feral pigeon?

The "feral pigeon" is the The Rock Pigeon (Columba livia) and is the type of pigeon kept by pigeon fanciers.

Below is the definition of feral:

Adjective 1 (of an animal or plant) in a wild state, especially after having been domesticated. 2 resembling a wild animal.

— ORIGIN from Latin fera ‘wild animal’.

At my local farm all pigeons are unwelcomed guests. Try not to get the racing pigeons but accidents do happen!!

The "feral pigeon" is the The Rock Pigeon (Columba livia) and is the type of pigeon kept by pigeon fanciers.

Adjective 1 (of an animal or plant) in a wild state, especially after having been domesticated. 2 resembling a wild animal.

At my local farm all pigeons are unwelcomed guests. Try not to get the racing pigeons but accidents do happen!!

Thanks for that. Are you allowed to shoot both without any issues? Ive been shooting the old clays for a few years but am now trying to get into pigeon shooting but am struggling to gain permission. I am allowed to shoot on a friends orchard but its only small and not very suitable. Have you got any advice on the best way to start pigeon shooting? Ive been reading up on it on here and the internet but really need someone to show me the ropes. Is there any way other than joining a rough shooting club?

Thanks

Dan

you better no get my racing pigeons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shotgun tim

Racing pigeons are protected by Law, aren't they?. Do they ultimately belong to the Crown(in case of war)or something along those lines? I used to have some when I was growing up in my uncles lofts but I have not had any for over 20 years. My wife has banned me from having some until I retire :blush: Although, I have caught a few stray ones and brought them back to health, they are normally very hungry and thirsty. The RPRA has a very good stray report system. :good:

I suspect that the ownership is the issue around racing pigeons being a possession of a person (like a cat or dog) however one pigeon fancier told me that racing pigeons that fly in feral coveys in farm buildings are no good anyway as they don't fly straight back home. A bird that has done that would be disposed anyway..... I don't keep pigeons so really am quite ignorrant of the whole thing.

Your racing pigeons are safe with me as they have to sat on a perch for me to even try to hit them :blush::good:

Dan,

Keep networking and keep talking to people. None of my permissions were gained from cold calling they all were from a "freindly" contact.