Help HW77

Happy Mark

Good day fellow shooters, this is my first proper post to the forum. I have been looking through the posts and there is some very good information and advice so I hope that I have come to the right place for some helpful advice on my HW77,

Hopefully some of you can give me some sound advice regarding an airgun that I have just purchased from a friend. The gun is a HW77, and checking the serial number which starts off 119 I think that it was made in or about 1991.

This is going to be a project for me , I plan to strip it down , strip the stock and re do it, fiddle around with the inside stuff spring/piston etc. ]Now before you all start I don’t want an F.A.C airgun that is a no no.

When fired it is a bit clunky and has some recoil. What I am looking for is a nice smooth action and accuracy, for pigeons, bunnies and tree rats. I have been advised that it is just under the limit. But I will check out to make sure as I have been told that it has an Ox spring fitted

Now I am a tinkerer and I have Derlin and PTFE materials in rod , sheet and tube form

so I can turn down my own bits if needed. Could anyone recommend me a good spring that would help, there are so many out on the market , which one should I use. Any further advice to improve the accuracy would be most grateful.

Also I was going through my old shooting box and I found six boxes of .22 SABO airgun bullets. I understand that these are no longer available, are these legal they are steel and copper coated pellets.

I look forward to any suggestions that may be of help

Once again many thanks

Chambers gunmakers and V-mach do full kits for '77s They are both very good,

If you are on the BBs look up bonnie&clyde he makes tuning kits and POK makes (or did make) really good springs.

Titan Xs springs from John Knibbs are good too.

They are nice and easy to work on, it might be worth getting it on a chrono to see if it is 11 + ftlb then stripping and lubeing correctly with a good quality grease (Molybdenum disulphide) its C.V joint grease for cars and ideal for air gun chambers.

Then seeing how it shoots.

Is it .177 or .22? because .22 generally have a less harsh firing cycle.

Anyway all the best with the project.

Cheers Daveo

Chambers gunmakers and V-mach do full kits for '77s They are both very good,

If you are on the BBs look up bonnie&clyde he makes tuning kits and POK makes (or did make) really good springs.

Titan Xs springs from John Knibbs are good too.

They are nice and easy to work on, it might be worth getting it on a chrono to see if it is 11 + ftlb then stripping and lubeing correctly with a good quality grease (Molybdenum disulphide) its C.V joint grease for cars and ideal for air gun chambers.

Then seeing how it shoots.

Is it .177 or .22? because .22 generally have a less harsh firing cycle.

Anyway all the best with the project.

Cheers Daveo

Daveo

many thanks for getting back to me , It is a .22 I will have a look around at the v.mach and the Titanxs am I correct that they need to be below 12ftlb looking forward at getting started on this project

Many thanks

Mark

I had one of these in the 80`s and it really benifited from a Venom tune, if it was me I`d get their spring kit, it will be smooth to cock and most of the action noise will go.

Lineshooter

Many thanks I will also have a look at the Venom tune kit, hopefully these spring are all under the limit. any idea where I could pick one of these up down south

many thanks

Mark

Another vote for venom :good:

Whichever you get, the power will probably increase as it beds in gets smoother. aif you are worried about it and want to do all the fettling yourself have a look at a Combro Chrono

http://www.combro.co.uk/cb625.html

Then you can tinker with the gun and pellet weights to get the most accurate and consistend set-up and pellet choice for it. Dead simple to use and gives you muzzle energy and velocity.

Mark if you go for the V-mach kit try an online dealer, make sure you get the one they do for 12ft/lb as they do an Fac kit too.

Search v-mach on Google see if there is a dealer close to you. there is also a company called Airmasters 88 that may still tune Hw`s I think they are in Hemel Hempstead.

Edited by lineshooter

Many thanks to you all for the recommendations I now have somewhere to start from.

As it stands I must say that it is a heavy gun, but even with the ox spring I was getting consistent groupings at 30 meters. I was shooting with a friend of mine yesterday who has a HW35 FAC. Now I don’t know why I listen to him, but this little project has become much bigger. As I do some carbon fibre works some times for friends cars I might as well make a custom stock for the gun.

If anyone is interested I could do a little thing and put it on the Forum as the stages are completed, this could be interesting regarding the Kevlar carbon fibre stock construction.

Look forward to any abuse or comments.