First permission - Advice needed

J Mc

Hi guys,

I've just managed to get my first permission at a local farm. I have a couple of questions though and was wondering if anyone would be able to advise:

Some of the fields are adjacent to the road, and some have public footpaths cutting through them. One of the fields adjacent to the road is quite narrow and is constantly hammered by pigeons. I know there are rules regarding the discharge of a firearm within 50ft of the road if in doing so this causes a disturbance/danger to road users etc. What constitutes "a firearm" in this regard? Also, with regard to footpaths, are there any rules that i've missed or is it just a case of common sense and good practice?

One of the main issues on the farm is foxes (mnay lambs have been taken recently). The farmer has an open FAC and deals with them as and when he can. I have spoken to my firearms department and they say the land is only graded for .22LR (I had planned on getting the .223 on there). Now the land in question is not in my force's area, would it be worth contacting the force in question to see if they have a different opinion or just accept that I can't help with the foxes?

The farm already has two guys who who control vermin there, and by all accounts they have been doing a proper job, setting up hides around the land etc. Now I think that as I am so close the farmer didn't mind me going on, as long as it was ok with them (he asked and they said it was ok unless they wanted to shoot and i'd obviously move on) but i'd like to speak to them to make it clear that I don't want to be treading on people's toes. If you were in the same situation how would you approach going about shooting so as to not upset the other shooters?

Any help on these points would be greatly appreciated :blush:

James

not really an answer to your question this, but more of an interest..i am looking to apply for my FAC in the near future, currently shoot air rifles.

and was just wondering if this is your first permission how did you get your FAC, did you go down the gun club route, or you live on a farm etc? just curious thats all as you seem to have quite a few different guns.

thanks, ben

The 'firearm' will be any firearm, sub 12ft air or powderburner/shot gun.

And tyes, you are right about the footpaths, use your common sense.

Re the land, if your licence isn't open ask your force to organise a survey via the force that the land is covered by (for example my farmland was only surveyed and cleared for .22lr, but thats because thats what the last shooter asked for, not that it was only suitable for ,22lr and no more), once thats done and you have the appropriate permissions you can shoot the fox with whatever the land is cleared for.

Oh and sod the other shooters, go and pull their hides down, let 'em know they're not welcome... :blush: Try contacting them, just organise you timings so you don't get in the way of each other.

Edited by kyska

not really an answer to your question this, but more of an interest..i am looking to apply for my FAC in the near future, currently shoot air rifles.

and was just wondering if this is your first permission how did you get your FAC, did you go down the gun club route, or you live on a farm etc? just curious thats all as you seem to have quite a few different guns.

thanks, ben

Hi Ben,

I applied for my FAC citing target shooting (club member) as the main reason for all the rifles in my signature (got 2 more slots still to fill too). I also got .260 and .270 approved for deer. I'm sending a letter to my local force to get the conditions changed for vermin and fox as soon as I get the land issue sorted.

The 'firearm' will be any firearm, sub 12ft air or powderburner/shot gun.

And tyes, you are right about the footpaths, use your common sense.

Re the land, if your licence isn't open ask your force to organise a survey via the force that the land is covered by (for example my farmland was only surveyed and cleared for .22lr, but thats because thats what the last shooter asked for, not that it was only suitable for ,22lr and no more), once thats done and you have the appropriate permissions you can shoot the fox with whatever the land is cleared for.

Oh and sod the other shooters, go and pull their hides down, let 'em know they're not welcome... :lol: Try contacting them, just organise you timings so you don't get in the way of each other.

Thanks very much for the info :good:

I'll see if I can arrange for the police to do a survey of the land

thanks james..seems like a good route to go down if people dont have a permission with vermin control issues..i have heard though that it can be quite an expensive affair to join a rifle club and that you must attend so many times before FAC will be signed for by the club. the cost is the main hing stopping me from doing it

thanks james..seems like a good route to go down if people dont have a permission with vermin control issues..i have heard though that it can be quite an expensive affair to join a rifle club and that you must attend so many times before FAC will be signed for by the club. the cost is the main hing stopping me from doing it

It's expensive if you have no intention of target shooting. Depends what you want to do. I'm usually there every week and it gets me on the long range outdoor shoots too, but if you just want the FAC for vermin control then it probably isn't worth it. My probationary period was 3 months

ATB

My rifle club isn't that expensive int he grand scheme of things, i think i paid £75 for annual membership then its £10 a go when we use the outdoor MOD ranges once a month.

I had to wait 6 months before i could become a full member (club policy)

In the grand scheme of things that isn't that expensive i don't think, plus i get access to the 25m indoor range 4 times a week...great for practice.

ATB

DD

My rifle club isn't that expensive int he grand scheme of things, i think i paid £75 for annual membership then its £10 a go when we use the outdoor MOD ranges once a month.

I had to wait 6 months before i could become a full member (club policy)

In the grand scheme of things that isn't that expensive i don't think, plus i get access to the 25m indoor range 4 times a week...great for practice.

ATB

DD

It's not expensive at all in the grand scheme of things, if you use the facilities. My club charges £2 a time for members (£4 at the MOD ranges) and it's £16 per month direct debit. I get access to MOD ranges twice a month and 6 days a week in the indoor range. :good:

bloody hell the club i was lookin at was more like £300 annual membership..if i could find one for the prices you guys are saying i would definatley be more interested in going..so did the membership include use of club guns i take it?

bloody hell the club i was lookin at was more like £300 annual membership..if i could find one for the prices you guys are saying i would definatley be more interested in going..so did the membership include use of club guns i take it?

It certainly does