Starting to shoot firearms

Hi I have been shooting air rifles for 3 years now and I am now 17 and I want to know how I would go about getting a firearms licence and what the police need to check and what rifle would you reccomend for shooting rabbits,crows,pigeons and other general vermin. Also would the police allow me to have a rifle. Thankyou.

What do you think Ozzy.... I doubt the police would let him have one.....not with a name like that. ( :lol::D:hmm::no: )

No seriously. If you have the appropriate gun safe, in the appropriate place, you have permission to use a rifle on land that is deemed appropriate and you can show an acceptable reason for having the rifle they may say yes. Talk to your local licensing office and ask them. Be sensible and do not ask for a .30 06 for shooting rabbits. start off with a .22 LR or an FAC air rifle. Find out about any local clubs, and consider joining. Listen to what the FLO tells you and act accordingly. Good luck. :good:

Edited by alexr

What do you think Ozzy.... I doubt the police would let him have one.....not with a name like that. ( :good::hmm::lol::D )

Ha Ha yer but seriously what do you think i think i am sensible and have never done anything stupid with an air rifle nevermind a firearm serious answers please

What do you think Ozzy.... I doubt the police would let him have one.....not with a name like that. ( :lol::D:hmm::no: )

No seriously. If you have the appropriate gun safe, in the appropriate place, you have permission to use a rifle on land that is deemed appropriate and you can show an acceptable reason for having the rifle they may say yes. Talk to your local licensing office and ask them. Be sensible and do not ask for a .30 06 for shooting rabbits. start off with a .22 LR or an FAC air rifle. Find out about any local clubs, and consider joining. Listen to what the FLO tells you and act accordingly. Good luck. :good:

thankyou this is verry helpful what gun safe would you reccomend

Talk to the FLO as to placement , but you will either need one with a lockable top box or you will need a separate safe for your ammunition. The choice of cabinet depends on your budget and How many guns you intend to put in it. For me it also had to be light enough for me to man handle into the place where it was going to be fixed on my own. Other considerations include wether you want two keys or one to open the main lock. Brattonsound have a good range, but you can also pick them up here or on e-bay, some times for a lot less. I have a small wall mounted safe from B&Q for the ammunition, Cost me about £30.

Talk to the FLO as to placement , but you will either need one with a lockable top box or you will need a separate safe for your ammunition. The choice of cabinet depends on your budget and How many guns you intend to put in it. For me it also had to be light enough for me to man handle into the place where it was going to be fixed on my own. Other considerations include wether you want two keys or one to open the main lock. Brattonsound have a good range, but you can also pick them up here or on e-bay, some times for a lot less. I have a small wall mounted safe from B&Q for the ammunition, Cost me about £30.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the police would allow me a .17 HMR as a first rifle or to wait a while after getting the FAC and a .22 LR or FAC air rifle Thanks

If you can justify it, then perhaps yes. Its just as good for rabbits as the .22LR and there are reasonable grounds to say the lower risk of ricochets make it safer. If you don't ask you won't get.

cheers matel all the advice has been usefull and has been taken into account. Hopefully I will be granted a FAC

So can I just ask why you want a firearm, for hunting, or sporting purposes? Obivously different activities entail different things that need to be said to the police and different firearms to be purchased.

For hunting you need permission for a piece of land with written letter from farmer and the land needs to be cleared by the police if it hasn't been already done so.

Target shooting, depends what you want to do, for target rifle NRA or local shooting club that either does full bore or rimfire shooting, usually need to be a member of a club between 3-6 months before you can apply for FAC since you're on probation.

I personally shoot practical shotgun so UKPSA membership and membership of local practical shotgun club was enough for me, as well as safe etc.

So can I just ask why you want a firearm, for hunting, or sporting purposes? Obivously different activities entail different things that need to be said to the police and different firearms to be purchased.

For hunting you need permission for a piece of land with written letter from farmer and the land needs to be cleared by the police if it hasn't been already done so.

Target shooting, depends what you want to do, for target rifle NRA or local shooting club that either does full bore or rimfire shooting, usually need to be a member of a club between 3-6 months before you can apply for FAC since you're on probation.

I personally shoot practical shotgun so UKPSA membership and membership of local practical shotgun club was enough for me, as well as safe etc.

Hi I would be using it for hunting on animals like rabbits,crows,magpies etc