Advice needed - Shooting near a road

J Mc

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been covered more than a few times but I need some advice on shooting near to a road.

Basically on one of the fields that I shoot on, the pigeons all congregate at one end which is quite narrow and refuse to come down to the other end where it's more open and I can use a shotgun. They fly to and from their roost all evening to one patch on the field. Now, I was thinking, how dodgy would it be to set up a hide as shown in the picture, some decoys in the feeding area and use a 12FTLB AIR RIFLE from the hide?

I can position the hide so it can't be seen from the road (road is higher than field as there is a small bank maybe 3ft high) and the hedge is quite thick.

I've attached a very bad picture of the area i'm trying to describe. Thought please guys :good:

Field.jpg

Doesn't matter if its 12ft/lb or 1000 ft/lb really, I'd shoot there just off your picture, but the 50ft rule will still stand, but if you're covered by the bank the chance of you causing a nuisance isn't very high.

I'd check with the house owner, or let them know, someone pointing a gun towards a house could cause alarm, how far is the house away?

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been covered more than a few times but I need some advice on shooting near to a road.

Basically on one of the fields that I shoot on, the pigeons all congregate at one end which is quite narrow and refuse to come down to the other end where it's more open and I can use a shotgun. They fly to and from their roost all evening to one patch on the field. Now, I was thinking, how dodgy would it be to set up a hide as shown in the picture, some decoys in the feeding area and use a 12FTLB AIR RIFLE from the hide?

I can position the hide so it can't be seen from the road (road is higher than field as there is a small bank maybe 3ft high) and the hedge is quite thick.

I've attached a very bad picture of the area i'm trying to describe. Thought please guys :good:

Field.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.

Field is around 60 yards wide at that point and house is a good 100, maybe further. The scale on my picture is way off :good:

Incidentally I was shooting TOWARDS the road with the air rifle last saturday (70 yards from road), trying to get into this sort of area and the Police turned up. Someone had seen me from the road and called them. He was ok, just concerned that I was shooting towards the road, I explained that there's a bank etc, I was shooting an air rifle and at birds that had landed in the middle of the distance between me and the road and he was happy enough.

I'd rather be by the hedge and hidden than facing towards the road in full view. Can't think of any other way to shoot the area?

There are only two houses on the private road, my parent's and the one i've shown in the picture. They'd be alright with me shooting air rifle in the field.

If thats the case then mate I can't see any problems, I'd shoot that field.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Field is around 60 yards wide at that point and house is a good 100, maybe further. The scale on my picture is way off :good:

Incidentally I was shooting TOWARDS the road with the air rifle last saturday (70 yards from road), trying to get into this sort of area and the Police turned up. Someone had seen me from the road and called them. He was ok, just concerned that I was shooting towards the road, I explained that there's a bank etc, I was shooting an air rifle and at birds that had landed in the middle of the distance between me and the road and he was happy enough.

I'd rather be by the hedge and hidden than facing towards the road in full view. Can't think of any other way to shoot the area?

There are only two houses on the private road, my parent's and the one i've shown in the picture. They'd be alright with me shooting air rifle in the field.

If it were me I would shoot with my back to the private road and position a tall stick/hide pole either side to remind you not to shoot towards the road or house. An air rifle pellet will travel 100+yds even sub 12ftlbs and you can bet you would be unlucky enough to land one on thier patio table, **** law!! Your decoying skills will pay dividends here. :good: Good luck.

Edited by turbo33