Kale as a game crop in its second year............

on the shoot that I help manage we have game crops of Kale, we decided to leave it in after last season, it has now flowered and gone to seed what fertilizer should be applied to nourish it for the rest of the season to ensure it is in good order for the coming season? we have had lots of suggestions ranging from do nothing to a good dose of NPK, but as we have not left it for a second season before I am concerned that we will not have much in the way of cover when the season starts

Does anyone have any first hand experience of kale in its second year?

I've got two plots of second year kale- and had one plot last year of it. I didn't do anything to it and it was an awesome piece of cover. My advice would be to leave it- or fertilize it much later on in the year so it doesn't shoot up and over too quickly with nitrogen (can't remember the exact name of the stuff I've just put on my first year stuff)

Alex

Much will depend on what your soil is like but the spreading of NPK onto 2nd year kale is to encourage flower heads which are only produced in the 2nd year.

If the crop looks healthy my advice would be to spread a little NPK later on in the summer when it's not to dry to encourage some new leaf growth prior to the season.

Artificial fertilizers are formulated in appropriate concentrations and combinations and supply three main nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (N, P and K) for various crops and growing conditions. N (nitrogen) promotes leaf growth and forms proteins and chlorophyll. P (phosphorus) contributes to root, flower and fruit development. K (potassium) contributes to stem and root growth and the synthesis of proteins. The common artificial fertilizers include ammonia (82% nitrogen), NPK combinations, urea (46% nitrogen), supaphosphate, mono and di-basic ammonium phosphates (containing nitrogen and phosphate), calcium ammonium nitrate, potassium chloride (muriate of potash).

NPK comes in the 2 main blends. Just pick the one that suits your needs the best.

15-15-15

APPEARANCE free flowing pink granular

N+K+P2O5 45.0% min

N

15.0% min

P2O5

15.0% min

SOLUBLE P2O5

13.0% min

K2O

15.0% min

MOISTURE