First Roe Buck of 2010

kip270

Well with all the lovely weather we have had recently I arranged with mate to try for a Roe Buck, and I have another mate (Jason) who wants to start stalking so he came along to see what it was all about. We decided to try for an evening stalk, so we arrived at 6pm, loaded up the landy and were off to the first bit of ground.

As we drove down the track we spotted three roe, two does and a buck, so we stopped and just watched through our bins, this was jasons first look at deer through his bins, the buck was only about 2-3 years old (very slight frame and thin neck), we managed to get a bit closer and they were not bothered about us at all. Then we tried to get a little closer and that was it they were off…

We carried on and got to a small wood, a good spot to look from afar to see if any deer were out and about, after about 30 mins we didn’t see anything so off to our next spot, we came around a corner and an old buck was stood along the edge of the wood, he still had a lot of winter coat left on him, and not such a good head (so maybe a possible buck later in the year) but in no time he was gone. The next spot was a stalk through a small wood, and as we got to the gateway we saw a roe doe just inside the wood, she spotted us and was off, but no barking as she made off which was good.

As we made our way along the path a vixen came out of the undergrowth and walked along in front of us, this was the first time Jason had seen a fox in the daytime, and the fact that it was free to go about it’s business without being shot. A roe buck barked deeper in the wood to our left, the wind taking our scent towards him, we failed to see anything, so off to our final spot where we had spotted a Buck the last time we were out.

It was a lovely meadow, and we had a good vantage point, we spotted a doe feeding below us, so we crossed a gateway and stalked along the other side of the hedge, and made our way to a small gap, which would give me chance of a shot if the buck was there too.

Looking through the bins there were three of them out in the field a doe further out, then a nice buck, and then another doe with a kid which was a nice site to see, my mate said for me to take the buck, so down on the bi-pod and I waited for the right angle to take the buck. He was facing me and happy eating the butter cups, so after a few minutes he turned broadside, and as he did my shot was on it’s way and found its mark, the buck ran a few yards and then fell to the ground. The doe’s looked up for a second and then carried on feeding, the doe with the kid then thought “where the hell did he go” and made her way over and sniffed him, and then made off a few yards, and started feeding again.

We made our way to the buck and the does didn’t see us, so my mate whistled to make the look at us, then they were off.

A cracking Buck and a great end to an evening stalk, and Jason was impressed with what he had seen, the stalking bug has taken hold of him now.

107E0190.jpg