Some questions

Joey126

Hello,

I'm currently only a short period away from applying for a FAC, so I guess it is about time I begin looking for a rimfire to do the job at the target range, but then again also for a small bit of hunting. I've heard (and had experience with) a CZ 452 American rifle is very accurate and reliable, but looking at what CZ offer I personally prefer the sound of the CZ 453 Lux - anyone had experience with one of these or recommend them? I know I should try it out, but I'd enjoy hearing what some of you say also.

And in regards to hunting - I heard that in order to hunt you need a specific calibre for whatever it is you're hunting? Such as .17 for rabbits and not a .22LR? Just a little confused on the matter is all.

Thanks,

Joey.

Never used the 453 but I guess the set trigger might be handy for target shooting, I have a 452 and find it ideal for my needs: bunnies

Yes, you need to ensure that you're using the right calibre for the right quarry but either HMR(.17) or .22LR are great on rabbits. For bigger quarry like fox or deer you'd need to look for something bigger but not for rabbits.

To be honest the only two calibres that I would use on rabbits are either a .22LR or a .17HMR, anything larger is likely to leave quite a mess to pick up, especially if you are "shooting for the pot"! You are quite right, a .223 would be a touch of "overkill" on a rabbit! ??? :yp: :oops:

I have no experience of the 453 but I can comment on the 452 Varmint in 17HMR which I think is an excellent rifle and incredible value for money! :good::D;)

Ahhh, so for example, you cannot use a .223 on a rabbit? Heck, perhaps insanely overpowered for the job, but merely acts an example. What is the largest caliber usable on one of them?

Ah well, this is where we come into the smoke and mirrors that is gun licensing. In theory it depends what your conditions on your FAC say, if it says Fox and Deer for example then you should really only shoot fox and deer (Muntjac and CWD) with it. However, if it says "...and other legal quarry" then you're fine.

In reality the chances of you being prosecuted for shooting a rabbit with a .223 anyway are absolutely zero but as FB says, it would be a bit pointless.

This vid shows a rabbit vs a .243, I don't want to spoil the ending but it doesn't go well for the bunny.

An expensive bullet for such a small animal that an LR would have done easily. If you want to hit them at long ranges then HMR will fit the bill.

Personally I prefer LR for it's quietness and cheapness of ammo but HMR does have it's benefits too.

Edited by Colster