Refinishing the new gun

soreshoulder

got up at 5.00 am to milk the cows this morning on the farm - job that pays for my guns :). Anyway we are doing some work on the milking parlour and we can only milk 8 cows at a time instead of 16 which makes it incredibly boring and slow and only requires 1 man so i went home whilst another guy offered to do the shift. He said come back at 7.30, so i had 2 1/2 hours to kill so i thought ill get one with this gun :yes: anyway got the nitromors on it and started stripping the old finish (1st pic without any finish). Was going so well that i managed to get a light walnut stain on it and get the first coat of tru oil (second pic) More pictures to follow :yes: The only thing is that im dreading put it back together :good:

post-9502-1277024736.jpg

post-9502-1277024750.jpg

post-9502-1277024770.jpg

Is it ok to put so many coats on so quick? i thought you were ment to leave like 24 hrs between coats

Someone told me once a day for a week then once a week for a month and onece a month for a year?

Iv refinished quite a few stocks to be perfectly honest iv not been massively impressed by the results.

I put it down to a lack of patience on my part.

Is it ok to put so many coats on so quick? i thought you were ment to leave like 24 hrs between coats

Someone told me once a day for a week then once a week for a month and onece a month for a year?

Iv refinished quite a few stocks to be perfectly honest iv not been massively impressed by the results.

I put it down to a lack of patience on my part.

ive found that the first few coats dry very quickly if put on thinly as i do but after that it takie a while to dry, there is no set time limit and it depends on the humidity etc. Just put the next coat on when its dry :yes:

post-21389-1277057642.jpg

I have a pump action in the sales thread that(foot of pic) i refinished and i know i am blowing my own trumpet here,but the finish on the wood and bluing is as good as any new gun i have handled and better than some,the wood has nice colour is sealed by the laquer and then smoothed waxed and buffed to a finish,the more you do this the better the finish,i used to be a cabinet maker many moons ago and this is similar process we used in the shop.

Drying times are crucial at each stage,failure to have patience to let it dry will have negative results on the finish.

The baikal in the pic is a project and not finshed by me !

atb,Karl