Air Rifle of Choice

teel9964

I have been considering purchasing an air rifle now for a few months, i already have a s/a shotgun but would like an air rifle as well for vermin control. However, i have no idea as to the best air rifle for the money. Iv got about 350 - 450 to buy gun and scope. I think a spring is what im looking for rather than the pre charged, but some people say a gas ram is good. So far, the air rifle of choice seems to be a Weihrauch 97K, which the fac version gives off 16-18 lbs of power. If anyone has other suggesstions or questions please let mem know, i dont want to buy something that is rubbish.

I use a 12 ft. air rifle a lot around farm buildings and for areas where my FAC aigun is too much and to use my shotgun or .243 would be madness. I have to say for an all rounder my .177 is a brilliant unit with a very flat pellet flight that makes targetting between 15 yrds and 35 yrds very simple.

The only downside is that for rats at close ranges you have be make sure you get a head shot as they are tough little chaps and over penetration is sometimes an issue so the energy transfer is not enough to clean kill with a body shot.

personally I would go for a multi shot pcp, the gas ram is good but very hard on the arm for a full session and with the multi shot you get the quick second shot if you miss with the first.

There is very little overall difference with regards to acuracy with a pcp for field use so it mainly comes down to personal choice as to how the rifle sits so I would really suggest to getting down to your local shop and having a go, most have a small indoor range to try and remember, you will probably want this for close range and potentially indoor work so a long barrel is not always a good idea and with a 12 ft. you do not need the barrel length as the pellet is not moving that fast.

hi teel9964 got 2 air guns [gas ram] both theoben .22 evo and a old .177 sirocco in mint con.

both capable of 1/2 grouping at 20/40yds mine not on fac m8 carnt beat them???.ps if you got a fac

you can get them up to 18/20ft by getting them pumped up .ps good head shots up to 40yds on 12lbs

what more power do you need bi flapper123 :rolleyes::good:

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I will be getting it under my fac, I live in northern Ireland so all air rifles regardless of power must be put on license. I would like something between 18 and over lbs of power. If that helps in offering suggestions. But you guys have the knowledge on air guns and I don't so I that's why I'm asking for your advice

The two FAC unit I use are Daystate Mk3 17ft. 0.177 and a Air Arms 410 FAC at 36 ft. 0.22

Both very good, Air Arms quite long but I use for rabbits stalking and the 0.177 is first class.

I picked up the 410 second hand for under £400 and she is mint, inc scope and bipod.

Getting a 0.177 FAC is not really the norm and the firearms officer who did my ticket thought I was nuts but it really is good. To go over 17ft though is very hard due to the massive amount of air needed so either get a big air tank or a gun with a big air reserve.