boat rewiring ?

JRS

my boat it is fitted with a dynamo and i would like to change over to an alternator so it will charge at lower revs

are there any auto electricians that could give me a few clues as to what i have to do ?

thanks guys

first off is your set up currently -ve earth or +ve earth? look at the battery cables and follow the -ve to see where it goes, hopefully it will go to the engine block and not the starter solenoid, this will mean it is -ve earth

The alternator (alt from now on) needs to be -ve earth, leave the battery disconnected to do the following

Check the exsisting charging wires to see if they are good enough to supply the new current, one cable (44 strand .30) will not be enough if your using a 70 amp alt, if unsure post some pics of the cable

Do you have a big regulator box? if so you need to remove or by pass it , the alt regulates itself so just wire straight to the battery or the battery cable on the stater if it is closer

Fit the alt, make sure the pulleys line up, space the frame if needed, adjust the belt up, connect the charging wire to the B+ terminal, some have a 6mm (10mm nut size) threaded post, some have large push on spade ( some have both) again if your not sure post up some pics i'll identify them for you

Then you need to connect up the thinner ignition feed wire (should be there from the dyno) if your not sure which one when earthed out using a bulb, the battery 'dash' light should glow, if only a little dim, if there is not one run a cable tidy and out of the way of moving bits up to the back of the battery light bulb, this is connected to D+ terminal

Then connect a suitable earthing strap from the alt body to the engine block

Double check your - earth or you will fry the alt :w00t:

Connect battery and fire up, if you are +ve earth this is the point were the alt will start to smoke ;)

Use a multimeter to check it is charging, should be putting out 13 to 14.5 volts, and when it's been run for a bit 14+ but no more than 14.5 volts

If you have no charge first check the D+ wire has 12 volts when disconected from the alt, (from the 'un earthed' side of the battery bulb) if so reconnect then being very carful of moving bits use a short piece of wire bare at each end to briefly jump accross the B+ and D+ whilst the engine is running to energize the alt, now check to see if the battery lamp is on, then

switch off engine and switch ignition back on, check the batt light is illuminated and that it goes out when restarted

hope this helps

:lol:

Edited by Paul223

heck thanks paul and in view of what you have just said i think i will have someone do it for me so i will print off whats been said

markbivvy , nice idea about the wife but she wont fall for that one

Its all very simple really, thats pretty mach a step by step guide :lol: , take a look at it you'll start to see what i mean ;) any questions just ask or if i've not responded send me a pm

plus if you need a bit of cable to replace the odd bit i'll have some knocking around :w00t:

Edited by Paul223

o.k i will have a look but i have printed the instructions for my brother in law to do his bit :lol: how long should it take him ?

PS i want a couple of lights puting on as well , do i need special switches for a boat

Edited by JRS