Whole crop wonderland!

wids

Managed today with a first light start to beat my bag record of 78 with todays haul of 109! (I was with a friend and together we have picked up 174!). There had been a bit of crow and pigeon interest for 3 days since it was cut (Wheat whole crop) so decided to have a bash but been past the field in the morning only so thought best go when iv been seeing them - i.e morning. So hide built on the hedge the night before that intersected two fields of wholecrop, so I was kind of sure I could manage with whatever the way the wind was blowing to decoy ok.

We did not ever expect to get so many though - with half the bag woodies and other half crows (give of take about 10ish it was). Used 2 floaters, 4 wholebody decoys, and 10 dead birds on cradles from couple days previous shoot on some stood wheat. For the crows we just stuck them out the other side of the hedge even though the wind was not great for this, but boy did they still come and try (near enough to get some, but rarely commiting due to the wind being wrong. We had a rotary machine with dead crows on it and 2 crow decoys that we added to as we shot them.

All in all a brilliant day :rolleyes: 109 for 152 shots (7 .R.L) which was alright - esp with the crows just not comitting many were a good way off.

Anyone else done any good on wholecrop lately? Only thing to be cut within 10 miles so more to come when harvest can get on but weather just holding it up a bit.

Edited by wids

By wholecrop do you mean uncut???

Kind regards OTH

Excuse me for butting in...

Whole crop is cereal crop, usually wheat(I think) which is cut like silage and clamped for use as winter feed stuff for cows.

Its extremely popular with pigeons as it is left to wilt and also leaves quite a bit of grain on the ground afterward.

If you can get on some you are almost guaranteed a good day!!

GH

I set up on a field of wheat today that was going to be cut early for cattle feed but it's been left too late and the grain is too hard now so the farmer is now going to attempt to harvest it despite all the wild oats and grass in among the wheat. Nevertheless i shot approximately 50 pigeons and picked 44. Look out for the pictures tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Excuse me for butting in...

Whole crop is cereal crop, usually wheat(I think) which is cut like silage and clamped for use as winter feed stuff for cows.

Its extremely popular with pigeons as it is left to wilt and also leaves quite a bit of grain on the ground afterward.

If you can get on some you are almost guaranteed a good day!!

GH

Whole crop is just harvested like silage - i.e chopped and mulched using a forager then clamped like grass in a lilage pit. Its not left to wilt :yes: its just cut at the green stage like in this case where the wheat was cut when still nice and green so its more palatable for the cows.