Barnsley Gun Dealer To Close

Bonna

Guns International in Barnsley will close if a new buyer is not forthcomming. Carl, the gunsmith, has the Big C and has had for a long time but now this gentleman among Gentlemen wants to retire. He not begrudged his wish but after he is gone the air gunners of Barnsley are going to be at a loss. Things like bottle fillilng, a chat and a joke will all in the past but lets hope Carl will get over it and we shall all have to do the same.

Hopefully a new owner will be forthcoming and let us hope they keep up the same service as carl, Pat , Rene and Julie.

God bless you all

Guns International in Barnsley will close if a new buyer is not forthcomming. Carl, the gunsmith, has the Big C and has had for a long time but now this gentleman among Gentlemen wants to retire. He not begrudged his wish but after he is gone the air gunners of Barnsley are going to be at a loss. Things like bottle fillilng, a chat and a joke will all in the past but lets hope Carl will get over it and we shall all have to do the same.

Hopefully a new owner will be forthcoming and let us hope they keep up the same service as carl, Pat , Rene and Julie.

God bless you all

ill second that mate you couldnt meet a nicer bloke than carl hes helped me many a time hope all goes well for him atb.

• 11 months later...

ill second that mate you couldnt meet a nicer bloke than carl hes helped me many a time hope all goes well for him atb.

Here here, I grew up in Ardsley, just a km away, and remember when I was a kid snooping around the woods at the top of Ardsley where Karl used to have a clay pigeon range. I'd watch for ages til they'd done, then go and recover any unbroken clays and stash them, til one day i got talking to the big man and the rest is history. He talked to me about the shottie, showed me how it worked, even let me have a go, and I was hooked.

I'd then go into Guns Inter every week, spending time raiding the bookcase library which they had in those days, reading the books, not buying them (but they didn't seem to mind) playing with Prince (the labrador) and chatting with old Pop. Now he was a smashing chap, a true gent, and I often think about him, but like all folk he eventually went to the range in the sky.

I got my first air rifle aged 14, from Guns Inter, a Webley Victor, the small brother of the vulcan, the moved onto Weihrauch, a HW80, one of the best guns I have had. Pat and Karl always made me welcome with the friendliness that became their trademark. Then came the .22 rimfire Ruger Pistol until Dunblane and then onto Theoben and Air Arms, which were just a revolution.

I moved to Australia in 2007 but still kept in touch with the shop.

Pat and Karl if you read this, my best wishes to you both, I know you enjoyed your boating out at Donny and your steam power and hope you enjoy your retirement. You had the best gun shop on the planet.

I'm still enjoying shooting now, with a mix of air rifles, rim fire, centrefire and shotguns, and even have my own skeet setup here on the farm, and its because these guys fostered my curiosity around guns and turned into the best hobby I have ever had.