paint needed for duck decoys

JRS

i am wanting some paint for duck decoy wings , i have seen it advertised somewhere and i know it is an american product, but dont know where to buy it from

any help or advice would be much appreciated

thanks guys

The top duck is a magnum mallard. The one below is one I touched up with paint from the art section from B and Q. The bottom one is a standard decoy.

nice paint work , i have been led to believe that the purple colour on the wing is the critical part and it is that colour is was wanting to locate for the refurb job

also do you know if the green head is important as well , i know the yanks have done a lot of work into this and ducks dont see in the same colour spectrum as we do thats why the paint is so important .

thankyou for your reply

I researched the colours on an american website before painting them. I will try to look it up. It did say the black and white are important at the rear. The neck band was widened and head painted dark green. It also mentioned giving them a light rub of vaseline to make them shine a bit. The missus thought i was taking it a bit far when she saw me going into the spare bedroom with vaseline and decoys! I will try to find the website.

I researched the colours on an american website before painting them. I will try to look it up. It did say the black and white are important at the rear. The neck band was widened and head painted dark green. It also mentioned giving them a light rub of vaseline to make them shine a bit. The missus thought i was taking it a bit far when she saw me going into the spare bedroom with vaseline and decoys! I will try to find the website.

Its from the ducksunlimited website:

http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Decoys/2897/Q...lardDecoys.html

Depending on when you are shooting here`s something to think about.

When duck are flying over water, at dusk and dawn, the light from the sky is reflected off it and as such the ducks/decoys will appear black.

Personally I think the colours don`t matter much, however the tail bars do.

Agreed. The tail does really stand out on live ducks. Its quite a black and white contrast. Not sure about the rest of the colours.

Mine were all painted with acrylic enamel paint in the art bit of I think b and q. Homebase have them as I saw them there this week. It comes in tiny pots. I just painted over the original colours. The head was called emerald, black for the rear end, white for neck and tail. The bills were different on the drakes and hens. The drake was more yellow and the hen more orange. I ended up mixing the two together to get something that looked ok.

• 2 weeks later...