phantom pregnancy ??

silpig5

hi guys .

ruffs is now coming up to one year old ,

had her first season couple months ago , followed by a bout of doggy thrush , quite common vet said .

her titties had a bit of a sag and he also said quite common , no heat or pain so all was normall .

over past couple of weeks although her general temperant hasnt changed one bit , still trains and plays the same , she has started to dig . and i mean dig . even after being caught and told off , she will be at same spot digging .

she has developed an early eveing habbit of humping her living room bed accross the floor , and just on saturday night , noticed small dripps of milk from her titties .

when she was at vets for thrush , he gave her a pregnancy test which was negative , so can only think that she is having a phantom ?

any idears and guideance please .

she is fit n healthy , eats and drinks the same , plays the same , trains the same , but she does seak more attention than normal .

cheers adi

by the way ,ruffs is fox red lab

Everything you said is classic phantom symptoms, some of them get quite aggressive so you're lucky really. Sadly mate there's pretty much nothing you can do about it, my lab used to have them every few years. (Mind you the last time she had a 'phantom', according to the vet, she had 10 pups a few weeks later!)

Hormone treatments are a waste of time and in my experience just make matters worse in the long run, you can try Pulsatilla which you can get from health shops/pharmacies, which worked quite well for us, don't ask me how.

Really spaying is the only way to stop it, just make sure you wait untill the phantom is over, otherwise it'll just carry on after she's been spayed. Of course if you want to breed from her you're screwed.

Edited by JR1960

cheers for replies guys ,

so im guessing right about a phantom .

was planning on having a litter of pups but not till she is older , so will have to put up with it i spose , just as long as she isnt taking harm .

have never had a dog with such good temperament i dont want her to be spayed for the sake of it and never have one of her pups .

jr , yes its a tony pup so you can see where she getts her stupid softness from !!!