Help with 243 data

Max load will vary from gun to gun. If you've loaded some already how did you find your start load? It's usually a 10% drop from max. Do you know how to look for pressure signs? Sticky bolt lift, flattened primers, bolt face prints on the case head? Really you should go by that rather than book max - that could be very close to the most your gun can handle which is why we have start loads in the frst place.

How are you finding the 87grn Hornady bullets? Which ones are they? Have you shot a Deer with them yet? I'm keen to learn all I can about bullets in this weight range, I'm going to be loading for my .243 soon and want a light Deer bullet that doesn't make a huge mess!

Max load will vary from gun to gun. If you've loaded some already how did you find your start load? It's usually a 10% drop from max. Do you know how to look for pressure signs? Sticky bolt lift, flattened primers, bolt face prints on the case head? Really you should go by that rather than book max - that could be very close to the most your gun can handle which is why we have start loads in the frst place.

How are you finding the 87grn Hornady bullets? Which ones are they? Have you shot a Deer with them yet? I'm keen to learn all I can about bullets in this weight range, I'm going to be loading for my .243 soon and want a light Deer bullet that doesn't make a huge mess!

I know what the max pressure is for Sierras 85grain and 100grains are with H414, by starting with the start loads for 100grains I know I would be under pressure which was the case. Working up from 39grains is a bit of a pain but safe. When I shot 43grains of H414 I realised how acurate these heads are, two bullets through the same hole, third half inch out. 43.5 grains produced a cloverleaf,amazing and well chuffed. I think that loading 44 grains will prove that I'm moving out of the best accuracy but I will try a few to put my mind at rest.

As for pressure signs, yep I have experienced pressure signs before, stiff bolt and bolt marks on base of case ( if that makes sense). I use CCI primers and have found that they seem quite soft, the pin strike looking like pressure signs even on lighter loads but edges not flattened, when you start getting toward the top end of a load you can see the primers flowing out to the edge of pocket( more flattened).

Once I have found a good load I like to go out and take a shot from a cold gun ( as if would be from a high seat with deer) into a 100yd target to make sure.

I will keep you posted on how the the 87grain V Max gets on in the field but early signs, accuracy wise, are excellent.

MY Lyman reloading book says on .243 Gr heads H-414 Start 40.0 grains,Max 45.5 grains OAL 2.1652.165

On.243 Gr heads H-414 Start 40.0 grains,Max 44 grains OAL 2.650

Hope this helps

243 calibre but what grain bullets, I'm quessing the top one is for a much lighter bullet by the OAL, thanks for the data, these last 2 posts seem to add up to what my reloading is telling me. Once again a big thanks.

Finally got out this very damp and grey morning(Sat) and tried a batch of Hornady's 87VMax with 44grains of H414 OAL 2.670inch. Grouped well but signs of pressure in the form of stiff bolt and slightly flowing primers.

The most accurate load in my Remmie 700 243 is with 43grains of H414 at OAL of 2.670, two holes touching,3 shot group at half inch. Surprisingly the 85grain Sierra soft points like exactly the same amount of powder. And the best bit of all, the gun was cold and damp from an unproductive hour and half sat in the highseat, on the way back to the truck I set the target up at 100yds and from a rest I put the first round smack through the target centre. With a hunting rifle thats the most important round.