Stoat

Swamp Beast

Was sitting having breakfast this morning when out the corner of my eye I saw a stoat go right by the patio doors, stop for about 5 seconds then nipped off again; went out and followed it tracks up the side of the dyke and through a run. Have set a springer trap tonight where the run goes through the dyke and put a bit of meat on it. Had traps for yonks but never used them so any advice on technique etc would be appreciated. I was going to put a pipe through the dyke but couldnt find anything so will see how it gos tonight.

I`m not having a dig,but why the need to kill it. Unless poultry etc are kept i`d let it live,however if you do have a real need to kill it, your trap needs to be in a tunnel/pipe of some kind,the tunnel works in 2 ways.a)it prevents none target species from being killed or injured,b)if the trap being used is of the fenn type,the tunnel will stop the intended victim from being thrown clear of the trap or being foul caught because the action of said trap springs up when set off.You can make a tunnel with a few bricks with a slate on top,but make sure the trap can open fully when triggered,if need be dig a small hollow in the ground to site the trap then cover the trap lightly with grass/hay/ straw i wouldnt cover with soils in freezing condition as it could freeze and impede the trap from working properley.I have in the past caught stoats in traps that have been set in a rabbit warren,(unintentialy)hope this info is of help

I`m not having a dig,but why the need to kill it. Unless poultry etc are kept i`d let it live,however if you do have a real need to kill it, your trap needs to be in a tunnel/pipe of some kind,the tunnel works in 2 ways.a)it prevents none target species from being killed or injured,b)if the trap being used is of the fenn type,the tunnel will stop the intended victim from being thrown clear of the trap or being foul caught because the action of said trap springs up when set off.You can make a tunnel with a few bricks with a slate on top,but make sure the trap can open fully when triggered,if need be dig a small hollow in the ground to site the trap then cover the trap lightly with grass/hay/ straw i wouldnt cover with soils in freezing condition as it could freeze and impede the trap from working properley.I have in the past caught stoats in traps that have been set in a rabbit warren,(unintentialy)hope this info is of help

thanks for reply; yeah have hens also sons pet rabbit.