Rook shooting in a village

rtaylor

I will check with my firearms office but I also wanted you're opinion on this. I live in a small village and at the end of our garden the two fir trees are infested with rooks. The trees are right next to the road, but it is a fairly quite road. I have permission of my landlord to shoot on all the farm land behind the house and I suppose this includes the front garden. I am under the impression you can't shoot closer than 50' from a road but only if it causes a disturbance, otherwise you're ok. Does anyone know what the legalities are with shooting in a village and next to the road?

Would I be ok if I told the police and the surrounding houses I was going to be shooting them. I will be using a .410 to try and keep the noise down.

Edited by rtaylor

You would have to make sure the shot fell inside your boundry, hard to do if firing basically straight up! Air rifle an option? or trap?

It would be possible with an air rifle, only I don't have one. I have tried a Larsen trap to no avail. What if the shot were to fall on another bit of permission I held? It would be about possible to achive this... roughly :yes:

If you have permission then your fine for shot to land there, but it cant fall on land you dont own/have permission on. It is the proximity to the road thats the issue but if you are well known in the area and locals agree/are happy then you should be OK but it's all down to interpretation check with BASC etc if your a member and have proof of the alternate methods you have tried to hand in case the worst happens (diary of trap usage etc)