Hare shoot

rigwallet

I don't think that would work. The reason there are no hares on land is likely that the land isn't suitable to hold them. They'll soon disappear or die if that's the case. Like al4x I've shot on local estates that can shoot hundreds of hares over the course of a season - year after year after year. These are keepered estates, managed for shooting and where the farmers are, in general, sympathetic to shooting. In a way they have to be - they are all tenants of the estates, or often in the shooting syndicate.

Completely right in our case!! We have a healthy hare population as you describe above, plus the estate keepers have a great grip on any hare predators eg Charlie fox..

Our land is a mix of pasture, moor, woods, streams and arable and so suits hare really well

I am not anti hare shooting atall. But i just thought wouldnt it be a good idea if on the land where there are enough hares to cull 200 couldnt they be caught and relocated to land where hares are much more rare instead of hte culls.

like i said im not anti hare shooting, just an idea.

That only ever works if predator control is ramped up significantly and measures are taken to ensure people don't get to interfere with them. If you transplant them but don't reduce preds or see to their other needs, they will be picked off in short order.

Like with the RSPB's traditional approach to 'nature reserves'.

Duncan